Write a short answer to each question.
1. Write your claim or thesis statement in the space below.
2. Write your introduction paragraph.
3. Write three topic sentences, one for each body paragraph in your essay.
4. Write your first body paragraph, in which you demonstrate the author’s intent.
5. Write your second body paragraph, in which you explain why the artist you’ve chosen is the one the author would have chosen to illustrate the stor
6. Write your third body paragraph, in which you give evidence that your chosen artist is a better fit for the author’s purpose than the other artist.
7. Write your conclusion paragraph below.
Images from the Inferno by William Blake and Gustave Doré
Gustave Doré’s image of Dante astray in the Dusky Wood1
Gustave Doré’s vision of Dante and Virgil in the Forest of the Suicides and Profligates1
William Blake’s vision of Dante and Virgil in the Forest of the Suicides2
Gustave Doré’s version of the demons threatening to attack Virgil and Dante1
William Blake’s vision of Virgil and Dante fleeing the threatening demons in Canto XXI2
Dante and Virgil viewing the burning souls of those who gave fraudulent advice1
Virgil and Dante observe the frozen lake holding Lucifer, the three-faced king of Hell1
1. Gustave Doré, Doré’s Inferno, The Divine Comedy Web Edition, last modified February 2006, http://www.divinecomedy.org/divine_comedy.html.
2. William Blake, Illustrations to Dante’s “Divine Comedy”, accessed February 10, 2014, http://www.blakearchive.org/.