A Critique of the Literature
This assignment is designed to help you become critical consumers of evidence based nursing research. For this assignment you are asked to critically evaluate either a quantitative or a qualitative research report.
There are steps you need to follow in this assignment are:
1. Select an appropriate peer-reviewed original research article within last five years (you may select the topic)
2. You may choose from either QUANTITATIVE or QUALITATIVE research ( do not reuse the articles used in assessment 2, may use the same topic)
3. You MUST NOT choose literature reviews or systematic reviews or mixed method studies. Do not use the practice article given below to do this part.
4. Critique the article using the guidelines in your textbook (chapter 15).
1. Evidence of appropriate interpretation of the assignment task, i.e. demonstrated ability to critique scholarly literature
2. Demonstration of understanding of the terms used in the selected papers
3. Demonstration of engagement with the literature, reading and unit resources;
4. Attention to structure and logical sequencing of information; clearly identified introduction, body and conclusion;
5. Attention to referencing and acknowledgement of other sources – others’ ideas paraphrased and interpreted rather than directly quoted, correct academic referencing and in-text citation, using APA style;
6. Written expression: Clear, succinct written expression, using correct spelling, grammar, punctuation and syntax (sentence structure).