Advertising and media in marketing environment
Students will be required to research the topic of “Effective Advertising” and write a literary review and analysis. Students will be asked to cover the following areas:
Provide a literary review, critical analysis and commentary on academic theory regarding “What Makes Advertising Effective,” Effecting advertising comprise of a multitude of factors from the purpose and objectives to the implementation of the advertisement. Students are meant to cover a range of factors and not just focus on a narrow aspect of the advertising process.
1. Take a critical approach based on journal articles, textbooks and websites;
2. Topics areas should be based on multiple sources to demonstrate in-depth research;
3. Structure the assignment based on the funnel approach. Explain the concept from different perspectives i.e. compare and contrast and the concepts. Then focus on the specifics of the assignment i.e. how these concepts/factors affect advertising;
4. Select a specialist area (e.g. the impact of culture on advertising or the role of internationalisation on advertising) of advertising and discuss this in detail. This section will occupy 1/3 of the assignment. What are the main ideas and concepts in the field? The rest of the assignment should focus on general concepts and factors relating to advertising;
5. Use illustrative examples to reinforce the analysis and the concepts;
6. Clearly link the conclusion/recommendations to the previous analysis.
Referencing, structure and general presentation – 10%
Research – use of journal articles, textbooks and websites with more marks for balance between journal articles and textbooks. The more sources used (cited and included in the list of references) the more credible and convincing the research – 20%
Discussion – level of analysis i.e. identify advertising factors and concepts that make advertising effective and explain how these factors and concepts help advertising become effective. Use illustrative examples throughout to help explain how these factors and concepts affect the effectiveness of advertising in practice – 60%
Conclusion – summary of the main findings – 10%
The assignment is scheduled for submission Friday week 7. Individual (theory) report should be no longer than 2,000 words + or – 10% excluding appendices.
Use textbooks to gain a general understanding of what makes advertising effective. Use these concepts as keywords to search the Emerald online database to gain further insight. Try and investigate concepts not covered in class such as culture, and global advertising.
A report format will help structure the assignment and aid clarification of your ideas. However, an essay format is also acceptable.