Alcohol misuse and consumption among adolescent in Australia
Purpose of assessment:
Alcohol occupies a significant part in Australian culture and lifestyle. In 2014-15, 80.6% of Australians aged 18years and over had consumed alcohol (Australian Bureau
of Statistics, 2015). An increasing number of people in the general population now consume alcohol at levels that can increase their risk of mental and physical ill
health. This assessment task provides you with the opportunity to apply the knowledge you have learned about alcohol use and abuse in this unit to a particular group
This assessment requires you to:
Explore the literature on problematic alcohol use in Australia to discuss the risks and protective factors for alcohol use in a specific Australian population group.
Referring to literature and/or online resources, explore and provide brief analysis of a program that addresses alcohol use and abuse and explore the role of the nurse
in combatting problematic alcohol use for this group.
1. Introduction – problematic alcohol use in Australia.
What is meant by that and give definition, who is affected etc.
2. Choose a specific Australian population group, eg. Pregnant women, teenagers or older adults
3. Discuss the risks and protective factors for alcohol use for my chosen specific Australian population group. What is increasing alcohol consumption and what is
4. Explore and provide brief analysis of a program that addresses alcohol use and abuse in a specific Australian population group
Need to research for a health promotion programme aiming to reduce alcohol consumption, eg. VicHealth, NGOS etc.
Provide analysis & how to build and evaluate mental health promotion
5. Explore the role of the nurse in combatting problematic alcohol use for this group
Requires some conceptual thinking, what need to do, what as nurse need to do. Not only education.
Consider the Ottawa charter for example, what role can a nurse play in limiting alcohol abuse for my chosen population.