Application: Practice in Graph Design
As has been discussed over the past few weeks, the design of graphs and tables is critical in determining their effectiveness in portraying the correct message. You have been exploring what constitutes a good graph or table. Now you will have the opportunity to put these skills to use. Select one of the first three exercises in the section entitled, “Practice in Graphic Design” starting on p. 287 in the “Show Me the Numbers” text. For the exercise you have selected, follow the directions in the book.
All questions and bullets notes need to be answered
In 1-2 pages address the following:
• Your analysis of the problem.
• Your recommendations for improving the display of the data.
• List each of the problems that you detect in the design of the graph
• Now suggest a solution to each of the problems
Be sure you consider (at a minimum):
1. What question(s) does the information given answer?
2. What would be the best type of graph or other display to clearly and quickly provide the answer(s) to; those question(s)?
3. What visual design features would enhance; communication of the information?