1) Read the comic Arkham Asylum online: https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Arkham-Asylum/Full?
2) Choose 12 frames that happen IN ORDER and show a full action sequence that happens in the comic
from its beginning and conclusion. | recommend a sequence that has a lot of visual details.
3) Begin by a) describing the frame layout of the page or pages and b) remember to describe the activity
frame by frame in order of appearance and that c) you are describing how the frames work to maintain
So basically you can maybe talk about why the frame size matters (if it’s thin or long or jagged or even if it’s
framed with white lines or even overlapped) and why that kind of special framing affects the story.
4) Describe a) the character (s), motivation, and action of every frame. b) explain the position of your view
point (bird’s eye view, normal face to face view, ant’s eye view), and c) explain the pictorial space of each
frame (like why a character/object might be placed on the left/middle/right/up/down side of the frame) d )
describe every visual detail in every frame. Keep in mind that “everything” means everything.
Visual detail examples: random scratchy lines or smoke or water color effects or blurs and please describe
what effect does each unique visual detail in each panel mean.
5) Please just make this last step just one page. Having fully described the sequence, write a critical
explanation of the purpose of the sequence a) at the paint of its occurrence in the narrative and b) it’s
contribution or significance to the theme or purpose of the graphic novel. (DO NOT RESEARCH
ANYTHING, just talk about comic itself/the 12 sequences you choose please!) Please let me know if you