As a nurse you will be expected to knowledgeably and expertly undertake a range of nursing skills on a daily basis. Following a review of the literature, please
discuss the skill of Assisting patients with feeding.
The title оf the assignment is:
As a nurse you will be exрeсted to knowledgeably and expertly undertake a range of nursing skills on a daily basis. Following a review of the literature, please
discuss the skill of Assisting patients with feeding.
In your answer, you MUST include:
• A discussion of the skill with reference to evidence based practice
• Nursing considerations with respect to skill performance in relation to client/patient diversity such as age, disability,
• A discussion of relevant aspects of The Code (NMC, 2015) as they relate to the chosen skill
With regard to this module and assignments we want you to focus on literature from either UK journals or from a UK perspective. This is in order for you to gain an
appreciation of what counts as good and bad evidence, as well as relevance to practice.
As a general rule:
? Papers should be less than 10 years old, unless classics (Maslow, Benner, etc.)
? From nursing focused journals (no lancet/bmj)
? Text books are appropriate, but be mindful that new evidence is published all the time, so consider if your cited text is still relevant
? Internet web pages are not the best sources of evidence, but it is appropriate to use policy sites such as NICE, NMC and the Kings Fund, but try and find published
PDF’s not just web pages, as these change.
? Avoid wikipedia
? Avoid patient information sites and blogs
? You have library access and the use of databases, you should not need to use google scholar
? Try and avoid citing secondary sources, if possible try and find the primary sources
A suggested format is provided below.
Introduction – stating your chosen skill and summarising the key points that will be discussed in the assignment.
Discussion of your chosen skill –
Brief discussion on the skill which may include the following:
• What is it?
• When would this skill be used?
• Why is it relevant to contemporary nursing practice?
Evidence supporting the skill
This should be the main part of your assignment. You will need to discuss the key issues from the literature in relation to this skill. Do not describe how to
undertake the skill. Use the literature to discuss pertinent aspects of the skill. Try and include some critical analysis of why the skill should be undertaken a
You will need to consider how the literature suggests the skill should be amended for certain client groups
Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) The Code (2015)
Consider also the impact of the NMC (2015) The Code when undertaking the skill.
Summarise the main points discussed and clearly state relevance of this skill to contemporary professional nursing practice based. Do not include any new information
Guidance to completing your Main Assignment
• You must write in the third person, and do not use personal pronouns
• You may use the work that was submitted as part of your formative assessment (Learning Needs assessment) in your Main Assignment.
• Do not use subheadings in an academic assignment. Pictures should not be included. Tables and graphs if used, must be referenced correctly, and would normally sit
better in an appendix than in the main body of the assignment.
• Pay attention to spelling, and grammar including sentence and paragraph construction.
• You must avoid colloquial expressions. Write using academic language, rather than writing as you would speak. Further support on academic writing can be accessed
through CLaSS based in the library.
• There is no need to explain basic medical terminology. Remember you are writing an academic piece of work, and not providing information for patients.
• Any statement you make must be supported by a reference. Remember this is a review of the literature, rather than your opinions. References should ideally be less
than 10 years old.
• Avoid the use of direct quotes in academic assignments. It is better practice to put the statement into your own words and reference the source.
• Your work must be supported by at least 20 academic references. Patient information websites or lecture notes from Blackboard do not count as academic references.
Articles in nursing or medical journals should be used. Please seek support from CLaSS based in the library on how to search the databases for journal articles. This
is a key skill you will need to develop. Your assignment should be supported by 20 appropriate references
• You must follow the Harvard Referencing system. If you are unsure please see the information under the Library Button on the Blackboard Shell. Further support can be
accessed through CLaSS based in the library. Referencing is a fundamental academic skill, and it is important that this is completed correctly.
• Avoid describing how the skill is undertaken. Instead use the literature to engage in a discussion. Where possible it is helpful to include alternative views. This
is how you will demonstrate breadth and depth of reading. In addition try and include some critical analysis of the information that you present
Assessment Details: Learning Outcome Assessment method
1. Recognise the importance of inter-professional partnership working and user/carer involvement to enhance and deliver high quality patient/ client/ service user
2. Safely demonstrate an appropriate range of essential nursing skills required for a variety of client groups within health and social care settings
3. Understand the importance of effective communication and interpersonal skills as being essential to professional practice
4. Begin to use problem solving skills effectively within the context of professional practice
5. Develop and demonstrate a range of study skills necessary and appropriate for the students learning needs and continuing personal and professional development
6. Demonstrate an understanding of, and adherence to the principles of the NMC Code (NMC, 2015) and how this underpins professional practice