Assignment 2 advice – Management and Organisational Behaviour (UAE intake)
Prof. Tim Campbell
This advice is in addition to the assignment brief – make sure you consider all of the points in the assignment brief carefully
Executive summary (about 200 words)
A summary of the entire report (not an introduction – a summary)
Introduction (about 300 words)
An introduction ‘sets the scene’. By that I mean it introduces the topics and tries to engage the reader. Then the introduction should state the aim of the assignment and how it will be structured.
Analysis (about 1,500 – 1,800 words)
Use sub-headings where appropriate
From your academic research and critical thinking;
a) Select two main topic areas from the list below.
• Work groups and teams
• Power and politics
• Conflict and negotiations
b) Analyse and critically discuss the impact that your chosen topic areas have on the culture of an organisation and the way in which employees are managed
You need to analyse and critically discuss how work groups and teams, power and politics, or conflict and negotiation are affecting the firm’s culture (you would need to choose a model (or maybe two) to analyse the culture of your organisation) and the way in which employees are managed.
Conclusion (100 – 200 words)
Conclude by summarising the most important points from your analysis
• I would like at least 10 references (with at least 3 from journal articles)
Further general advice – Consider the following:
• What am I expected to find out about – what is the question asking?
• What do I know about this topic? How much information has the tutor already given me?
• How much time can I give to this particular project?
• Develop an outline first
• Must answer the question!
• Must provide an informed answer to the question – not opinions! i.e. arguments and explanations should be supported by reference to relevant evidence (literature)
• Demonstrate critical thinking
• Use examples
• Well referenced
• Always aim for a professional look and ‘feel’ to the report
• Use diagrams/tables etc. where appropriate – but apply them.