Read The Bay of Pigs by Howard Jones and write a responsive paper,
with a title page, addressing the following points and questions.
- What did the author suggest was the reasoning behind JFK’s decision to launch the Bay of
- Who was Richard Bissell, what was his background, what other operations, concerning other
Countries, did he oversee, what was his position in the CIA, and what role did he play in the
Bay of Pigs invasion?
Pages 13, 21
- Castro engaged in what activities that caused some to believe Castro was in fact a
- What were the two approaches the US considered for regime change in Cuba? What was
Richard Nixon’s role? To what was Bissell referring when he proposed a “gangster-type
Pages 13 – 15, 21
- What were the Eisenhower administration’s views on Castro and Cuba, and how did its plans
evolve? What key administration people were involved with the invasion’s planning?
Pages 13, 15, 16, 17
- How did the Soviet Union becom
the Soviet primer Nikita Khrushchev?
- As the planning developed for the projected what were the difficulties and issues that
hindered the operation?
Pages 33, 34
- When, apparently, did the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) first conduct a detailed review of
Operation Trinidad? What were the JCS’s evaluations?
- What were President Kennedy’s concerns about Project Trinidad? Were these concerns
military, political (foreign relations), or both?
- Why did the military refrain from vigorously criticizing the lack of strong air cover, in
particular, and the overall plan in general?
- Who was responsible for forcing massive changes to the invasion plan which caused the
invasion site to be moved?
- What were the three main points that Bissell either did not mention to President Kennedy,
or else Bissell discounted as being unimportant concerning the movement of the landing site to
- Presidential Advisor Schlesinger warned Kennedy against the invasion. What were his main
- Who fired the first shot of the invasion, where, and why? Why was this important?
- What did Castro believe was the key to his defense? Why
- Most of those who participated in the Bay of Pigs invasion blame whom? Why?
- What were the failures of the CIA according to the author?
- According to the author what were Kennedy’s failings in his handling of the invasion?
- What was the Taylor inquiry, and whom did it blame for the failure at the Bay of Pigs?
- Disregarding the question of whether the United States should have supported Cuban
regime change, who, in your opinion, bares most of the responsibility for the failure of the
operation? Support your argument with quotes from the text.