be able to:
- Carry out measurement and prepare pre-contract documents including schedule of works,
approximate quantities, schedule of elements, etc.
- Carry out measurement and prepare pre-contract documents and Bills of quantities for building
works in accordance with Industry and Professional Rules of Measurement (Mainly NRM 2).
- Carry out measurement and prepare pre-contract documents and Bills of quantities for civil
engineering works in accordance with Industry and Professional Rules of Measurement (Mainly
- Advise on appropriate methods of measurement and select an appropriate pricing documents
- Evaluate and appraise quantity surveying problems and draw conclusions.
- Undertake pre and post-contract practices relevant for quantity surveying.
Task and Mark distribution:
This document is for Coventry University students for their own use in completing their
assessed work for this module and should not be passed to third parties or posted on any
website. Any infringements of this rule should be reported to
You have been employed by Grand Masters Plc to provide professional Quantity Surveying services for
their residential housing development. GM have decided to adopt traditional procurement strategy as
they intend to construct a typical high quality residential building. Copies of the design are attached to
a) Produce a manual detailed take-off for the project in accordance with NRM2. Make allowance
for a prime cost sum of £2,850 for M&E and provisional sum of £12,000 for external and
security works. Your submission should include taking-off list, and query or assumption list.
b) Prepare a detailed bill of quantities for the construction of the house in accordance with NRM
- Your submission must include a preliminary bill (where only project details and maximum of
8 priced items to be considered) and the main building. You are required to use QS software or
Ms Excel [20%].
c) Prepare a take-off using QS software for the substructure only. In not more than 200 words
produce a reflective report on manual and software measurement (take-off) [15%].
a) Produce a manual detailed take-off for the concrete retaining wall in accordance with CESMM4
- You are expected to use the CUHarvard referencing format. For support and advice on how this
students can contact Centre for Academic Writing (CAW).
- Please notify your registry course support team and module leader for disability support.
- Any student requiring an extension or deferral should follow the university process as outlined
- The University cannot take responsibility for any coursework lost or corrupted on disks, laptops
or personal computer. Students should therefore regularly back-up any work and are advised to
save it on the University system.
- If there are technical or performance issues that prevent students submitting coursework
through the online coursework submission system on the day of a coursework deadline, an
appropriate extension to the coursework submission deadline will be agreed. This extension
will normally be 24 hours or the next working day if the deadline falls on a Friday or over the
weekend period. This will be communicated via email and as a CUMoodle announcement.