The main assignment for HLTH2105 revolves around a character from the movie The black balloon. In week 4 we will watch the DVD The black balloon during tutorials.
‘Further instructions’ for both the tutorial activity involving the DVD and for the assignment will be provided on FLO. You should review these before coming to class in week 4 and these will be discussed in week 5.
There will be a specific Discussion forum set up in FLO to discuss the DVD and the assignment. There is also a list of specific questions relating to your character available in the instructions for The black balloon on FLO.
Overall, this essay is an ANALYSIS of a CASE selected for your assignment—the case (person you review) is provided by your tutors. The questions provided in the tutorial will guide your exploration of the case study. The focus of this assignment is the Case, with your analysis of that case supported by academic literature.
Your essay should include sufficient resources to show that you understand the issues and any relevant theories related to the case. At a minimum, you will include (15) academic sources. That is, the written assignment will consist of:
• all sources must be peer reviewed research articles. They should be published from 2000-2011, but you may find a ‘classic’ article that is relevant and was published earlier. You will need to justify its inclusion. These articles may include, but are not limited to:
– articles that have considered the health issue in relation to the particular stage in the lifespan (e.g. infancy, adolescence, adulthood, etc.)
– articles that focus on the particular health condition—Autism
– articles that focus on the particular stage in the lifespan (e.g. infancy, adolescence, adulthood, etc)
– you may discover that you cannot find articles that cover BOTH the health condition AND the stage in the lifespan in the same article, but you need to have academic, peer reviewed, relevant articles for the stage in the lifespan AND the health condition
• material from at least twoauthoritative Australian websites (e.g. Australian Bureau of Statistics, or Australian Institute of Health and Welfare) to provide Australian research, statistics and context to support your writing. If you are an international student you may focus on the research and statistics from your home country if you prefer, but it has to be referenced adequately.
• appropriate chapters from lifespan development texts and health psychology texts should be used to describe and discuss the case in relation to the theoretical perspectives and/or the wider research agenda .
You will need to apply the research and literature to the character, e.g. Maggie. The character will be assigned to you for this assignment. Your essay should answer the following questions:
• Discuss the psychosocial developmental aspects of your case—this is the lifespan stage (i.e. infancy, adolescence, adulthood, etc). What are the relevant developmental issues involved in your case? Consider the cognitive, psychological, social, emotional, and physical implications in your case.
• Ideally, you will be able to discuss the combined issue of the health issue AND the developmental issues. (for example, if the case concerns Charlie, then the aspect of autism on his development and care, and his life stage according to his psychological developmental stage you should find literature that addresses both: autism AND his level of development, for Maggie, the aspects of stress, pre-eclampsia, having an Autistic child and her life stage).
– What do the articles say about the relationship between the health issue and stage in the lifespan/human development?
– How typical or common is this health issue at the stage of life? Or is it not common?
• How well does the literature/theory help you understand the person’s situation and responses? That is, how well do the generalisations in the literature help you to understand this person’s situation and responses?
– Are there any controversies in the literature?
– Are there any limitations in the studies you have found?
– Are there any differences between what the literature says and the situation provided in your case?
To prepare for your essay, you should consider the following when reading/reviewing research articles. You will need to link the case study, e.g. Charlie to the appropriate psychosocial stage of human development and explore the way in which other models or theories explain Charlie’s behaviour. Note: we have provided you with this information to help you prepare. Your essay is NOT an annotated bibliography, but if you consider the below points when you review your articles, it will help you to understand the issue and what you need to consider in your essay.
• Full bibliography: ensure you have the full information to reference the article: authors, article title, journal title, volume, date, page numbers. See Harvard guidelines.
• Research articles should be peer reviewed and not letters or opinions or from magazines or websites. Ensure that your references are academic in nature. You should use databases via the Flinders University Library, for example, Ovid or Ebsco or ScienceDirect. You can sometimes search for Full Text articles and sometimes you can search for ‘peer reviewed’. If you are uncertain, please use the services provided by the library to help you find appropriate articles or discuss with your tutor or the topic coordinator.
Assessment criteria for this essay can be found at the end of this booklet and are available on FLO. Make sure that you check your essay against the criteria!
Formatting your essays
Essays need to be typed, font 12, double spaced, with 2.5-3.2 cm margins.
Either double space between paragraphs or indent the first line of each paragraph.
Number all pages of your assignment and include your name or your student ID number on each page.
The word count starts at the title and ends before the reference list. The word count includes everything in-between. Remember that there are no penalties for word counts + or – 10%. When writing your essay, consider whether your essay meets the criteria rather than excessively focusing on the word count.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂