Toxic substances: the basic concepts of recognition, evaluation, storage, transportation, and control of physical, chemical, and biological health hazards
The substance(s) assigned for your project:
Requirements for project # 1 and presentation format.
– All assignments in 627 are strictly individual, identical work will not be accepted.
– There will be penalties for late reports.
– Presentation will be posted on Blackboard (Discussion Board) for the class review and comments.
– Presentations should be in PowerPoint (PPT). Overall format including visual effects, font size, margin size, coloring, graphs, charts, figures and etc. should be
PPT is expected to include min 35-40 slides.
– Title page should include project title, student(s) name, course title and date.
– Project 1 should include purpose, definitions, requirements, etc, you found MOST IMPORTANT when reviewing regulations and guidelines related to the toxic and/or
flammable substance assigned .
Please give an overview of the requirements and regulations and include all important messages the standards and regulations send to users by your experience /
professional opinion and describe in details into your project PPT presentation (but it doesn’t mean that you should cut and paste from the standards).
There should be at least 5 references cited, not more than one of them can be online source. Use a combination of valid website, journals and books.
If you use other references to do that it will be a big plus.
Max possible points for project 1 = 125 pts (plan= 5pts + PPT= 55 pts + posting PPT on blackboard= 10 pts + Comments = 55 pts)
– Project plan sent to me for review and comments due Jan 11, 2014.
– PPT presentation sent to me for review and comments due Jan 31, 2014.
• Students have to submit Power Point presentations to the Discussion Board as an attachment/file and everyone could view the project – Feb 4, 2014 (not earlier).
Please send me your PPT before you post on Discussion Board. PPT presentations sent to me after Feb 4, 9 am will not be accepted).
– Students have to review all projects # 1 (posted on Discussion Board by Feb 4, 2014), accumulate your comments in ONE file “627 – YOUR NAME- project 1- PPT –
comments”, and send me ALL comments as attachment (one file).
Please don’t post on Discussion Board your comments, just send to me.
Note: Please when finish your review, send just ONE file when all reviews are completed and comments accumulated in ONE word document.
Deadline for submission all comments is Feb 10, 2014.
– Code of Federal Regulations 29 CFR, Part 1910 General Industry (OSHA Regulations, Editions 2001-present)
29 CFR PART 1910 – OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH STANDARDS
Subpart Z — Toxic and Hazardous Substances
1910.1030 – Bloodborne pathogens.
o 1910.1030 App A – Hepatitis B Vaccine Declination (Mandatory)
– Leonard, J. E. and Robinson, G. D., 2009, Managing Hazardous Materials, Institute of Hazardous Materials Management: Rockville, MD.
– C. Strong and T. Irvin , Emergency Response and Hazardous Chemical Management: Principles and Practices, St. Lucie Press, 1996, ISBN 1-884O15-77-8
– Sacarello, Hilderglade L.A., The comprehensive handbook of hazardous materials: regulations, handling, monitoring, and safety, Boca Raton: Lewis Publishers, 1994.
– Woodside, Gayle, Hazardous materials and hazardous waste management: a technical guide, New York: Wiley, 1993.
– Code of Federal Regulations 40 CFR, Government Printing Office
– Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene, 3rd, 4th, or 5th Edition; Pierce, J. Thomas; National Safety Council, Chicago, IL. 1989.
Chapters: “Overview of Industrial Hygiene”, “Industrial toxicology”, “Gases, Vapors, and Solvents”, and other chapters containing Evaluation, Air Sampling, Measuring,
Control, and PPE selection methods.
– Textbooks and articles on hazardous materials and industrial toxicology.
Notes: Using reference books please include (by scanning) all pictures, photos, tables, etc., within the topics (text) you assigned to use for essay/presentation.