Break-Even Analysis and Planning
Budgeting is an important internal activity. Preparing budgets involves forecasting sales and estimating costs. For this SLP, you will prepare a flexible budget for next year for the company of your choice. The budget needs to be realistic and based on corporate and economic trends.
Companies prepare budgets based on absorption and/or variable costing. Due to lack of information, we’re limiting our budgeting to the absorption approach. Don’t forget that the presentation of the information is important.
Set up the flexible budget showing three different growth rates. Use the financial statements and do research on the company of your choice to determine growth trends. Explain your estimates and prepare a flexible budget showing the low, the average, and the high revenues and adjust all other line items in the income statement to reflect the revised revenue assumptions.
• What is the growth rate in sales for the past three years?
• Are revenues and expenses growing at the same rate? What was the experience in the past few years?
• What is the current growth rate in the economy?
• How are the competitiors doing?
• Current interest rates and tax burdens.
Discuss the implications of the information after you have completed the flexible budget.
• How does the flexible budget differ from a static budget?
• Budgets are used for planning and control. Discuss how you can use the information derived for these two purposes?
• Comment on using this information for performance evaluations.
SLP Assignment Expectations
Always include the name of the organization(s), time period covered, and source of information. It is important to answer the questions as posed. The document should be 2 to 4 pages and written in a clear and concise manner. Don’t forget to include tables as required. Support your discussion or tables with references in APA format. You are encouraged to use Excel or other compatible spreadsheet when computations are involved. You can turn in the spreadsheet instead of the Word document. The content should be equivalent to the page length suggested for a word processing document.