Capacity planning is the most crucial aspect of managing an operation successfully
‘Capacity planning is the most crucial aspect of managing an operation successfully’.
To what extent to do you agree with this statement?
Your essay should explore the ways in which capacity is reconciled with demand and additionally, why it might be considered as so important. Link too, to the connected area of aggregate (production) planning.
Issues to be considered may include whether excess capacity should be purchased in advance, in anticipation of an increase in demand (explore the impact of this choice on the overall success of the operation) and the choice of plans available in aggregate planning; again, consider the options and discuss the impact of such choices on the success of the operation.
The key lectures for this assignment are week 3 (Capacity Planning) and week 4 (Aggregate Planning).
Key Marking criteria will include:
• Initiative: originality, innovativeness of answer
• Assignment Structure: clarity of aims, objective, structure and presentation
• Quality of Writing: Readability and ability to convey key message(s) concisely
• Quality/Scope of Literature Review: Understanding of established knowledge
• Suitability of Literature: Use of suitable sources, focused to answer key research aims
• Literature Analysis: Quality/level of analytical skill demonstrated
• Insightfulness of Analysis: Interest and usefulness of findings, conclusions drawn.
• Understanding: Assignment demonstrates students have understood key topics
• Overall Quality of AssignmentThe length limit for the assignment plan is one side of A4 paper with not smaller than 12-point font. Section headings and bullet points are acceptable – the plan does not have to be in prose. References should be inserted as footnotes