Case Study Free Trade USA Thailand
For the exclusive use of C. Alexander, 2015.
U.S.–THAILAND FREE TRADE AGREEMENT
Garlic in Thailand
Garlic Imports by Thailand from China (tons per year)
Data source: Thai Customs Department.
Garlic Price in Thailand (THB per kilogram per year)
Data source: Thai Office of Agricultural Economics.
This document is authorized for use only by Cody Alexander in Introduction to International Business taught by MEGHANA AYYAGARI, George Washington University from January 2015 to
Direction : To read and analyze the case thoroughly included within the attachment. The analysis must address the issues below A good
case write-up makes intelligent use of figures, charts, and tables to make the point. All in-text citations should use parenthetical endnotes; a full references list should be attached at the end of the document.
Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of your recommendation while incorporating why alternative strategies are not appropriate.
1. What are the benefits/costs of the FTA agreement from the point of view of the United States?
2. Are these benefits/costs very important for the US?
3. What are the benefits/costs of the FTA agreement from the point of view of Thailand?
4. Are these benefits/costs very important for Thailand?
5. Discuss the pros and cons of bilateral versus multilateral strategies.
For students not submitting the case write-up please answer the following question:
What are the concerns about the impact of the FTA on competitiveness of US light trucks?
Other important ideas:
Customs Unions- A customs union is a type of trade bloc which is composed of a free trade area with a common external tariff. The participant countries set up common external trade policy, but in some cases they use different import quotas