Children and mental health
• Respond to each item. Each answer should be concise and two paragraphs in length
• Use MS Word to write your responses, and submit your answers to all three questions in one Word document.
1. Nurturing relationships between caring adults and children have the power to heal troubled lives” (Rice & Groves, 2005, p. 18). Based on the Child Trauma Toolkit
and the essay “Respectful Teaching with Infants and Toddlers” from Concepts for Care, identify three strategies that can be used by child development professionals to
develop nurturing relationships between adults and children. How can each of the practices you identified contribute to children’s development of resiliency?
2. Appropriate guidance and socialization strategies support the healthy mental development of all young children. Based on the essay “Socialization and Guidance with
Infants and Toddlers” from Concepts for Care and explain, using examples, how attention to developing and fostering healthy interactions within a respectful
environment can both cultivate infant/toddler mental health and foster resilience.
3. Although children may unfortunately experience many different kinds of trauma, behavioral signs and symptoms of trauma are fairly consistent across children.
Strategies supporting the development and learning needs of children who have been traumatized require quality, individualized caring and learning experiences that are
in tune with each child’s unique emotional needs (Rice & Groves, 2005). Review the Child Trauma Toolkit. Identify and explain two teaching strategies that meet the
development and learning needs of all children, including those who are most needy, and two adaptations, or special considerations, that child development
professionals may need to be mindful of with children who have been traumatized.