Choice Project: Textbook Boxes
For this assignment, refer to the “List of Boxes” on pages x-xi of the textbook. You may use any of the boxeslisted in these sections, except the boxes listed under DSM-5; you are not limited to the chapters we are currently studying. Pick ONE box PER paper, not one category. The categories are:
• Drugs in the Media
• Taking Sides
• Drugs in Depth
Some of the boxes suggest specific activities, or raise questions for you to answer; others just provide information on a particular topic. Pick one box, then write an800- to 1000-word paper on the box topic. Here are some suggestions:
• Do the activity suggested in the box, and then report what you found. (Note: If the box suggests an activity, do it. Don’t just speculate on what would happen if you did.)
• Answer the questions or respond to the controversy raised in the box.
• Write about information or a perspective that you think the authors have left out in a box topic.
• Do a little more research on a box topic and write about what you found.
• Other? If you have other ideas, let’s talk about them!
I am looking for the following in these assignments:
• That you have spent some time reflecting on the topic or issues raised, and done some extra independent research.
• Your opinion and/or perspective.
• Integrating concepts we have covered in class.
• Balance – for example, if you have a strong opinion about something, spend some time considering the other side and its potential merits.
• Appropriate citations if you use data or other “facts”
• Quality, coherent writing!
• Please include the page number and title of the box you are using in the heading of your paper.
Tip: The most frequent reasons for students losing points on these assignments are for not using appropriate citations and not meeting the required length. If you are having trouble with either of these, please ask for help. We are happy to work with you on your writing.
If you have other ideas of activities that you want to do relating to something you read in the textbook, please let me know. I am flexible about these assignments. As an example, in the past, students have done research into tobacco cessation resources available to help them quit smoking, then written about their research and thoughts about quitting.