Trimester 3, 2015 – Assignment (25% unit value)
RESEARCH, SUMMARY & REFLECTION
Due – WEEK 8 – Monday December 14th 2015, no later than 17:00 –
PORTAL ELECTRONIC COPY ONLY.
Read the following instructions VERY carefully!
The assignment has three main tasks and ALL three must be completed.
Each COM 201 class will have a designated topic and resources. You will need to locate and use the specific journal articles only.
The following topics are linked to each class:
Class 1 (Alison Cutler – Wed PM)
Reading and Note-taking
Class 2 (Alison Cutler – Thurs AM)
Time Management and effective study
Class 3 (Chris Notsis – Fri AM)
Plagiarism and Collusion
Class 30 (Vivienne Harris – TUE PM)
Motivation and study skills
• You are NOT permitted to use a topic reserved for another class. Doing so will result in zero being given!
• You will be provided with details about several articles for each topic, below.
• You will need to locate these articles (via the Deakin Library Journal Article Databases) to use in the assignment task; no other sources can be used.
• You will need to submit an individual assignment in on-line form only. Printed copies will not be accepted. Submissions will be made by a link provided in the COM 201 moodle – Week 8.
COM 201A Assignment 201503 Page 1 of 10
ASSIGNMENT TASKS – all classes
TASK 1 – Journal Article Searches (2+2 = 4 marks)
1. After you search and locate your 3 articles in the Deakin Uni Library Databases, you must provide a COMPLETE ‘print screen’ copy of the catalogue view of each article, as shown in the Deakin Library catalogue (Total of 3), e.g.:
All three images must be placed on ONE page only.
2. You must then provide a small, legible IMAGE of each article’s FIRST page ONLY (total of 3), e.g.:
All three images must be placed on ONE page only
An EXCELLENT, FREE screen capture program can be downloaded from: http://easycapture.en.softonic.com/
COM 201A Assignment 201503 Page 2 of 10
TASK 2 – Article Summaries (21 + 5 = 26 marks)
For each article, write one summary (Total = 3 summaries – 7 marks each = 21 marks).
Do the following:
1. You must use the 3-move paragraph structure for each summary.
2. You must cite (the source) in each summary – at least three times (but not only at the end of the summary!). Use the Author-Date Format.
3. You MUST NOT copy, so:
• Use your own words. Paraphrase. Do not quote.
• Focus on main ideas only
• Do not include details.
• Do not include any DATA.
• Keep it simple; do not invent facts/ideas.
• Retain the original meaning.
4. Approximate length of each summary: 300 words (+/- 10%).
5. Each summary must be in ONE paragraph only.
NOTE: if there is copied content in the summaries, then a zero mark will be given for this task.
6. Write a REFERENCE LIST of the three articles, using the Author-Date Format (HARVARD). This is compulsory. Failure to include this, as correctly as possible, will result in ZERO for this task! (3 marks). This Reference List should be on a separate page directly after the Summaries.
TASK 3 – Personal Reflection (8 + 12 = 20 marks)
This task will be challenging for some students. It requires you to think about an aspect of the work done for this assignment and to provide an interpretative reflection on the experience.
You will complete this task IN CLASS during Week 8 (EIGHT) under test conditions.
You will be given a task sheet with the specific requirements. There will be two tasks (3a and 3b). Your responses will be marked and added to your Assignment mark.
Each response will be in the form of a 3-Move paragraph and each should be about 120 – 150 words in length.
COM 201A Assignment 201503 Page 3 of 10
• All submissions must be typed, in A4 page size.
• Left and right margins – must be 3.0 cm
• 1.5 line spacing only
• Arial or Calibri font only; 11 point size.
• Each task and response must be clearly labelled
• There must be page numbers (but NOT on the title page)
• There must be a title page, as follows:
Title: Article Summaries
This, in 11 – 12 pt size Use RIGHT Justify
NB: Do not include any clipart or other images.
FILE UPLOAD REQUIREMENTS:
• Your file must be uploaded to the portal as a .docx only.
No other format will be accepted. NO .doc, .PDF, ZIPPED or ISO FILES!
Following, is the Assignment Marking Guide. A separate ‘Word’ copy will be made available in moodle for you to add to your assignment.
Full Title here
(in 16 – 18 pt size)
Your full name Your ID no.
Unit code and name Lecturer name Assignment
Due Date COM 201A Assignment 201503 Page 4 of 10
COM 201 Assignment 201503 – Searching AND Articles for each class
Use each title and its author(s) to search for these in the DU Library EBSCOhost databases.
1. The instructions on how to search the DU Library Catalogue
2. The article details for each Class. You must ONLY the three articles for your Class.
1. USING THE DU LIBRARY CATALOGUE
You will need to login to the Deakin Library catalogue and a Deakin College Student. Follow the steps below to locate the articles that relate to your Class.
1. Make sure the box is ticked:
The select from the OPTIONS box A-Z Databases
At some point you might need to log in.
COM 201A Assignment 201503 Page 5 of 10
Then select EBSCOHost databases
Then Choose ALL databases, then Continue:
COM 201A Assignment 201503 Page 6 of 10
Now type in the Author name(s), Year and Title. SEARCH. It should take you there!
COM 201A Assignment 201503 Page 7 of 10
2. ARTICLES (by Class) – titles and authors
Use the author and article details to search for these texts.
COM 201A Assignment 201503 Page 8 of 10
COM 201A Assignment 201503 Page 9 of 10
COM 201 Assignment – Marking Guide
THREE ‘print screen’ copies of the catalogue view of each article, as shown in the Deakin Library catalogue
THREE images of each article’s FIRST page ONLY
• 3-move paragraph structure
• No copying; no quoting
• Citations (Author-date) included
• 300 words +/- 10%
• Accurate with article
• Meaningful content and language.
(3 marks per move)
• Same as 2.1
• Same as 2.1
Author-date Format reference list including all three Articles only.
Instructions for format and document design have been followed. Two marks or zero.
To be done in class
DESCRIPTION – as directed in class
PERSONAL REFLECTION – as directed in class
Any plagiarized or colluded content could result in a zero mark for the whole assignment.