Write a paper (2,000-2,500 words) in which you apply the concepts of epidemiology
and nursing research to a communicable disease. Refer to ‘Communicable Disease
Chain,” “Chain of Infection,” and the CDC website for assistance completing this
Communicable Disease Selection
Choose one communicable disease from the following list:
5. Hepatitis B
Epidemiology Paper Requirements
Address the following:
1. Describe the communicable disease (causes, symptoms, mode of transmission,
complications, treatment) and the demographic of interest (mortality, morbidity,
incidence, and prevalence). Is this a reportable disease? If so, provide details about
reporting time, whom to report to, etc.
2. Describe the determinants of health and explain how those factors contribute to the2. Describe the determinants of health and explain how those factors contribute to the
development of this disease.
3. Discuss the epidemiologic triangle as it relatw to the communicable disease you
have selected. Include the host factors, agent factors (presence or absence), and
environmental factors- (The textbook describes each element of the epidemiologic
triangle). Are there any special considerations or notifications for the community,
schools, or general population?
4. Explain the role of the community health nurse (case finding, reporting, data
collecting, data analysis, and follow-up).
5. Identify at least one national agency or organization that addresses the
communicable disease chosen and describe how the organization(s) contributes to
resolving or reducing the impact of disease.
6. Discuss a global implication of the disease. How is this addressed in other countries
or cultures? Is this disease endemic to a particular area? Provide an example.