Contemporary Development in Business Management
Prepare a management report on an organization within one of the following industry-sectors**:
1. Manufacture of motor vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers C29
2. Warehousing and support activities for transportation H52
3. Education P85
4. Telecommunications J61
5. Electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply D35
[An organization profile must be included in your submission as “Appendix 1”.]
This report should assess the impact of external business environmental factors on the organization and evaluate the organization’s position and responses. In the case
of a large organization it is permissible to confine your report to part of the organization. An organization’s activities may range beyond the designated industrial
sector in which case the focus of your report must be on the organization’s activities within the designated sector.
** According to the “International Standard Industrial Classification of All Economic Activities” https://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regcst.asp?Cl=27.
Give a brief overview of the primary external influences to which the organization is subject and briefly explain the particular importance of each to the
This first task should contribute no more than one third of your overall report.
Choose one of the following themes:
1. Technological disruption and disruptive innovation
2. Globalization and ‘Guarded’ Globalization
3. Knowledge management
4. Cultural Change and Organisational Culture
In relation to your chosen theme:
(i) analyse its relevance to your chosen organization and how it influences policies and decision-making within your chosen organization or industry-sector.
(ii) critically evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s response.
(iii) (if possible and appropriate) demonstrate some areas for improvement in the response of the organization.
Summary Assessment Criteria
1. Relevance: Directly relevant to the requirements of the assessment. (10%)
2. Knowledge: A substantial knowledge of relevant material, showing a clear grasp of themes, questions and issues therein. (20%)
3. Analysis: Good analysis, clear and orderly (20%)
4. Argument and structure: Coherent and logically structured, using an appropriate mode of argument and/or theoretical model(s). (20%)
5. Critical evaluation: Contains distinctive or independent thinking; may formulate an independent position in relation to theory and/or practice. (10%)
6. Presentation: Well written, with standard spelling and grammar, in a readable style with an acceptable format. (10%)
7. Reference to literature: Critical appraisal of up-to-date and/or appropriate literature. Recognition of different perspectives. Good use of a range of sources.