Corporal punishment was a common form of state punishment. Provide a definition of corporal punishment. Name at least three forms of corporal punishment and describe their purpose.
1. Corporal punishment was a common form of state punishment. Provide a definition of corporal punishment. Name at least three forms of corporal punishment and describe their purpose.
2. What are some of the earliest forms of imprisonment? Discuss how imprisonment and its purpose have changed over time and how the first institutions are related to later correctional practices.
3. Explain the process that led to the development of crimes being an act in violation of a king or queen’s authority.
4. What were the major differences between prisons and reformatories?
5. What effects did the American Civil War have on prisons and offenders? How did these effects influence the industrial prison era?
6. Discuss the two early-19th-century prison systems. Which of the two won out in America? Why?
7. What are two of the primary goals or philosophical orientations of punishment that are generally recognized? Identify and define your selected goal and provide an example of a punishment that supports this goal.
8. What are the main differences between determinate and indeterminate sentencing?
9. Capital punishment is a common sanctioned punishment. Provide a definition of capital punishment and name and describe at least three forms of capital punishment currently used within the United States.
10. What are the various types of damages that can be awarded through a civil tort case?
11. Describe and discuss the differences and similarities between the hand-on doctrine, the hands-off doctrine and the one-hand-on one-hand-off doctrine. What are the main differences between determinate and indeterminate sentencing?
12. Given the strict confines of the prison setting, it is no surprise that the First Amendment was the legal basis behind numerous forms of inmate redress. Define and discuss the First Amendment and how it is related to prisons and prison inmates. In addition, discuss at least three Supreme Court cases that have relevance to the First Amendment and the field of corrections.