“Critically discuss the continued relevance of the Hawthorne studies to 21st Century Management. In developing your argument, please give consideration to the work of McAuley
“Critically discuss the continued relevance of the Hawthorne studies to 21st Century Management. In developing your argument, please give consideration to the work of McAuley et al. (2014), Burnes and Cooke (2013), Roethlisberger (1948), Franke and Kaul (1978) and any other relevant sources you wish to use.”
What is expected of me?
With regard to the above title and making use of a range of resources please provide a critical discussion of the arguments for and against the continued use of the insights published by the Hawthorne Studies collaborators. Please provide some insight into the epistemological models that your arguments are built on (See Lecture 9 – Organization Theory 2). How might engagement with other models have changed the course of your discussion?
In developing your work you should use a range of sources including, but not restricted to, the ones in the title. All these works have already been set as lecture and/or workshop readings with the exception of the final one that you should be able to find in the library using the skills you have learned in the information retrieval sessions. It is through your learning from the library session that you will, also, be able to search out other, relevant, material to enhance your argument.
Six Key Points
1. The hand-in deadline is Thursday December 3rd 2015 at 12 noon.
2. The weighting for this essay is 30% of the total course marks.
3. The expected word count for the essay is 1500 – 2000 words excluding bibliography/reference list. Please note that you are expected to include a word count (excluding the bibliography) on the cover sheet of your essay.
4. Please note that the reference style must be Harvard: Author (Date). Footnote referencing styles are not permitted.
5. Standard School of Management rules are that under/over length of 10% is permitted but that any greater deviation may be penalised.
6. Please see your Essay Writing and Referencing Guide and the Handbook for The Marking Criteria for a full discussion of assignment expectations in the School.