Current News Event Option
Assignment – Current News Event Option, Haiti
From independence to poverty: Haiti. In Chapter 25, you read about Haiti’s struggle for independence from France, and the creation of the first black republic in the Atlantic world. Yet on January 12, 2010, a devastating earthquake in Haiti brought the world’s attention to the fact that, in the 21st century, Haiti is one of the poorest nations in the western hemisphere.
For this assignment, read the following three articles:
1. “The Long History of Troubled Ties Between Haiti and the U.S.” http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8460185.stm
2. “Why Did so Many People Die in Haiti’s Quake?” http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8510900.stm
3. “Quake Accentuated Chasm that has Defined Haiti,” http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/28/world/americas/28haitipoor.html?pagewanted=1
Based on these articles (and others if you wish), answer the following questions:
• What role (if any) did history play in creating the conditions for the massive destruction that occurred in Haiti as a result of the 2010 earthquake?
• In particular, are there historical reasons why Haiti has remained so poor?
Note: in order to receive full credit for this assignment, you must provide full citations for all articles used, including the required 3 articles above. 500 word minimum, not including citations.