Please direct concerns about the deadline or extenuating personal/health circumstances to Professor Kenzie Burchell
• Due FRIDAY APRIL 5th, 2019 at 6pm
• NO EXTENSIONS POSSIBLE unless otherwise agree to prior to the deadline
• Submit in a SINGLE FILE (.DOC or .PDF); Submit through QUERCUS ONLY
This assignment has three (3) parts, please clearly indicate these parts as distinct sections of your Ethnography Research Proposal. You can
prepare for these assignments using the guidelines for each part as set out by the related tutorial worksheets, but the completed worksheets cannot be handed in
instead of a well-written and well-presented proposal assignment. Do not forget to include your name at the top AND A WORD COUNT
- Digital Ethnography Research Report (20 Marks)
- MWA#3 Media Diary (5 Marks)
- MWA#4: Digital Ethnography Task (5 Marks)
You will be marked on the following components of your Digital Ethnography Research Report [1500-2000 words total]
- [100 words] Include a summary/abstract at the beginning of your Digital Ethnography Research Report.
- [400-500 words] Using a grounded theory approach, Conduct Open-Coding and Focus-Coding on your Media Diary Data, then conduct OpenCoding and Focus-Coding on your Public Figure’s Twitter Use. After brief introduction to the project, discuss the following in two separate
paragraphs for 1) Media Diary and 2) your Public Figure’s Twitter use:
a. Use of various devices, technology, social media platform.
b. The particular relationship between your use and the affordances or design of the platform
c. The particular ‘linked’ or ‘networked’ connection between you and other people in your life.
d. The particular ‘linked’ or ‘networked’ connection between you and media content (whether it is news, entertainment, games, or other sorts of
- [300-400 words] Focus on the differences and similarities between these between these two open-coding and focus-coding analyses. Conduct Axial
Coding on the categories and units of anlaysis that link the two data sets. In two separate paragraphs 1) CONTRAST the clear differences and 2)
COMPARE the clear similarities that you have found analyses of your media diary and the public figures tweets. Make clear explicit statements as to
the coding ‘category’ from your coding scheme that you are discussing (which can also be understood as your ‘unit of analysis’ or a ‘sensitizing concept’).
- [500-700 words] Conduct a literature review using 3-5 academic sources from the field of media and communication and journalism studies to learn
about the units of analysis that you have discover during your coding. Conduct a final round of Selective coding to further develop the differences and
similarities between you Media Diaries and Public Figure’s Twitter use based on what you have learnt from your literature review. Discuss how you have
applied the concepts from your literature review to better understand your data.
- [200-300 words] Include a Concluding Discussion that outlines:
a. the primary lessons learnt in this analysis
b. inferences that can be extended to media use and the experience of contemporary communication technologies
c. a discussion as to the ethical and methodological limitations of the study.
- Ensure that you are writing in clear and concise manner, using proper grammar, spelling, and paragraphing for a clearly structured report.
- Ensure that you are using consistent and correct in-text citation formats with page numbers and reference list formats.
ACMB02H3 Coding and Analysis Worksheet. NOTE: This is not a template for the assignment but a tutorial activity to start thinking about coding your media diary.
Review your Media Diary and conduct open and focused coding by following the steps below.
1) Read these questions, but DO NOT fill out any answers right away. FIRST, Conduct OPEN CODING by highlighting or underlying the various words, phrases,
or contextual clues within your media diary that will help you answer these questions.
2) THEN, return to the diary and answer each question step by step, conducting a closer FOCUSED CODING, making notes on your diary next to the underlined
words or phrases and fill out the questions below.
Highlighting the words and phrases that demonstrate particular aspects of your media practices or your experience of using media technologies in everyday life.
What media do you rely on most throughout the day? What media do you use sparingly? ____________________________________________
How do you use of various devices, technology, social media platform, pay particular attention the affordances, design or functionality of the platform. Highlight or
‘code’ these ‘technological’ aspects of your media use. How does this effect the way you use media and the way you conduct your relationships? ____
What are the particular ‘linked’ or ‘networked’ connections between you and other people in your life. Highlight or ‘code’ the words or phrases in your diary that talk
about these sorts of social + technological connections. What do you notice about the rhythms or relationship between these types on interactions? _
What are the particular ‘linked’ or ‘networked’ connections between you and media content (whether it is news, entertainment, games, or other sorts of
information). Highlight or ‘code’ the words or phrases in your diary that talk about these moments of media consumption, sharing, or circulation. What do you notice
about the rhythms or relationship between these types of media practices with each other? And with your interpersonal or social interaction through technology?
Reflect on the timing and frequency of your media use? Code any reflection or contextual clues on time or timing. What can be learnt about your everyday life and
your media use through this? ______________________________________________________________________________________
Reflect on the types of individuals, organizations, media content, and hyperlinks that are included (or not included) your media use. What does this tell you about your
use of communication technologies and online platforms?_______________________________________________________________
Highlight or code any mentions of particular technologies and associated descriptive words. How would you categorise or code your different ways of using media
technologies and online platforms? __________________________________________________________________________________
Reflect on the timing and frequency of your media diary entries? Code any timing elements, reflections, limitations, or contextual clues as to how the media diary was
conducted. What can be learnt about your everyday life and your media use through the way in which you completed the diary? ________________