“Effective international managers were said to be those who were adaptable, flexible, open-minded, speaking in foreign languages, and making friends with those of many nationalities.” (Smith, 1992:46)
THE TASK: write a 2,750 (+/- 10%) word paper that addresses the following:
Critically discuss the validity of this statement and the extent to which being “… adaptable, flexible, open-minded, speaking in foreign languages, and making friends with those of many nationalities” are relevant and sufficient qualities, capabilities and conditions for international managers being effective in the context of managing culturally diverse project teams. Draw on specific illustrative examples from case studies and/or organisations with which you are familiar.
You will be expected to demonstrate that you:
1. Are familiar with and able to critically review the relevant literature on international HRM, international/global managers and intercultural working.
2. Have a critical understanding of the role and contributions of international managers.
3. Have a critical understanding of the capabilities, qualities and conditions that various studies report as being important to the role and effective functioning of an international/global team leader/manager.
4. Have an appreciation of the concepts of ‘expatriates’ and ‘expatriate strain’ and their implication for international HRM.
5. Have an appreciation of the specific organisational strategies and interventions that can be used to ensure international managers are fit for the role, as well as those that can ameliorate/or limit the impact of potential challenges an international manager might face e.g. selection methods, pre-departure briefings and training, cultural competence skills development.
Learning Outcome Assessed
The learning outcomes being assessed relate to the following Knowledge Indicators in the MID:
17. Different aspects of national culture, their sources and implications for international organisations.
20. Methodologies of expatriation practice; selection, decision making, preparation, adjustment, repatriation; reasons for failure.
21. Structured means of cross-cultural collaboration including techniques and processes for creating effective bicultural and multicultural teams.
22. Special needs in relation to health in different environments and geographical climates and stress management in ‘hostile’ environments.
23. The contributors to and different aspects of national culture, the implications for organisations and:
• Issues in cross cultural communication
• Operating under different cultural models
• Acknowledging & assimilating difference using appropriate communication media
30. The impact on personal economic, social and domestic life of expatriate appointments for oneself and others.
The paper should be around 2, 750 words (+/- 10%) in length plus references and any appendices.
Any penalties for not complying with word limits will be in accordance with University and Faculty policy.
This assignment must be submitted as an electronic copy via the module web by 23.55 pm on or before the above deadline (See instructions on module web). Please note:
All work submitted after the submission deadline without an approved valid reason (see below) will be given a mark of zero. (This is not the same as a non-submission, as a late submission counts as an attempt and a mark of zero may allow you to resit the coursework.).
Short deferrals (extensions) of up to three calendar weeks can only be given for genuine “force majeure” and medical reasons, not for bad planning of your time. Please note that theft, loss, or failure to keep a back-up file, are not valid reasons. The short deferral must be applied for on or before the submission date. You can apply for a short deferral by submitting an Examination/ Coursework Deferral Application Form. Application Forms along with the supporting evidence should go to the [email protected] .
Students MUST keep a copy and/or an electronic file of their assignment.
The electronic version of your assignment may be used to enable checks to be made using anti-plagiarism software and approved plagiarism checking websites.
Assessment Criteria and Marking Scheme
The paper will be assessed out of 100 marks using the criteria on the pro-forma attached.
Basically, you will need to demonstrate the ability to:
• Write a clear Introduction which identifies the issues within the context of the assigned IHRM question and, from this to demonstrate a logical structure and layout for the paper (10 marks)
• Critically review the relevant literature and its implications for the aspect of IHRM discussed (30 marks)
• Critically discuss the pertinent issues, grounded in the literature, relevant to the assigned question (35 marks)
• Draw meaningful conclusions from this critical analysis and make any appropriate recommendations for IHRM (15 marks)
• Structure and present the discussion in a clear, logical and coherent way, and correctly reference all published material included in the paper (10 marks)
Return of Marked Work
Marks will be uploaded onto the module web and returned via reception 2 weeks after the submission date.
PLAGIARISM WARNING! – Assignments should not be copied in part or in whole from any other source, except for any marked up quotations, that clearly distinguish what has been quoted from your own work. All references used must be given, and the specific page number used should also be given for any direct quotations, which should be in inverted commas. Students found copying from the internet or other sources will get zero marks and may be excluded from the university.
Please make sure that your ID number and the module number appear on the actual coursework assignment as well as on the cover sheet that you attach to it. (but don’t put your name for individual assignments as marking is anonymous)
For large modules with multiple seminars your Seminar Group or Tutor’s name must be clearly shown, to ensure that your assignment goes to the correct person for marking. (Put the class day and time if you cannot remember tutor’s name)
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂