Electrical and Electronic Principles (Complex Waves and Transients in Circuits)
Write down the expression representing a voltage of 120V peak and frequency 1.2 kHz, together with its 3rd and 5th harmonics, having respectively 1/8 and 1/12 the amplitude of the fundamental, all being in-phase at zero time.
If this voltage is applied to a 10? resistor in series with a coil of inductance 1mH, determine an expression for the instantaneous value of the current and the total power dissipated.
Determine the power in the 10? resistor in series with a coil of inductance 1mH as mentioned above.
Analyse the effect to the wave of passing through a low pass filter with a cut-off frequency of 2kHz.
Your answer should demonstrate that your series is correct by an appropriate method and you should consider several methods to check your calculations
TASK 2 – Technical report
Your company has designed a product that contains the above networks. You have been asked to analyse the transient effect of applying a 5v step input to the systems. You are to write a report on the analysis of these circuits which contains at least the following:
– Laplace Analysis of the circuits
– Initial Values
– Graphs of the theoretical time responses.
– Printouts of the actual time responses (as shown on the oscilloscopes).
• Tooley & Dingle, (2004) Higher National Engineering, Newnes.
• Hughes, E (2008) Hughes Electrical Technology, Addison Wesley Longman
• Bird, J. (2014) Electrical circuit theory and technology. Routledge
• Bird, J. (2014) Electrical and electronic principles and technology. Routledge
• Harlow, J H (2012) Electric Power Transformer Engineering, CRC Press
• Please read the Study Skills Guide which can be accessed via the link STUDY SKILLS