The Utilitarian Approach
In this lesson, you will do the following:
1. Explain the main principles of Utilitarianism and contrast it with Hedonism.
2. Describe the major arguments in support of and against Utilitarianism.
3. Formulate your own opinions about the strengths and weaknesses of Utilitarianism.
? Elements of Moral Philosphy:
o Chapter 7: The Utilitarian Approach
o Chapter 8: The Debate Over Utilitarianism
? The Right Thing to Do:
o Chapter 3: Utilitarianism, John Stuart Mill
o Chapter 4: Utilitarianism and Integrity
ACTIVITIES / ASSESSMENTS
In brief essays of at least three to four paragraphs each, answer the following questions:
1. Explain the main principles of Utilitarianism.
2. How does the theory differ from Hedonism? Why did the theory gain popularity in social
and political theory?
3. Identify and describe at least two arguments, both for and against, the Utilitarian
4. What do you see as the primary strengths and weaknesses of Utilitarianism? Give an
example to illustrate your points