Explain Confucian ritual theory, self-cultivation, and the role of the family in both
1.Cohen and de Bary, Sources of the Chinese Tradition, pp. 587-924
2.Bell, Beyond Liberal Democracy (entire)
3.must use PDF
Your response should be seven to nine pages
in length, excluding the bibliography. You must:
• Complete the assignment in 12 point Times New Roman font, double-spaced, with
one inch margins on all sides. Any deviation from this formatting will result in an
automatic grade penalty.
• Late assignments will not be accepted without permission in advance.
• List the question you are answering at the top of your essay.
• Cite your sources: It is not necessary to consult outside materials for this assignment
(beyond lectures and assigned readings); however, you must reference and
appropriately cite lectures and assigned readings, including a full bibliography at the end of your paper.1
• Have an explicit thesis statement in the first paragraph of your essay. Please
underline this thesis statement. The remainder of the paper should develop and
elaborate this thesis. Failure to include an explicit, underlined thesis statement will
result in an automatic ten point deduction from your grade.
• Work alone. You may discuss this assignment with other students but all of the
written material in your essay must be your own. !
Academic Integrity: We take all academic integrity violations very seriously. Any violation will
be reported to the Academic Integrity Office and fully prosecuted. In addition, if you are found
responsible for an academic integrity violation, you will receive a failing grade for the course. If
The basic rule is simple: the words and ideas in your essay must be your
own. If you are using words or ideas from another source, you must appropriately cite that source.
Question:Explain Confucian ritual theory, self-cultivation, and the role of the family in both