Finding Help in Your Area (Honolulu, Hawaii)
Part A. Locate facilities in your county or neighboring county that provide:
1. Outpatient treatment for substance abuse disorders.
2. Inpatient treatment for substance abuse disorders.
3. Detoxification (medical stabilization) services.
4. Adolescent treatment for substance abuse disorders.
Use the following resources:
1. The SAMHSA Treatment Finder.
2. Treatment finder from your state division or department of addiction services (name will vary from state to state).
3. Referral resources from your local council on alcoholism and drug dependency (NCADD affiliate).
4. The United Way directory for your region.
Part B. Identify the eligibility requirements for admission to these agencies.
Part C. Conduct an interview with a staff member at one of these agencies on site, using the framework provided on pages 24-25 (Activity 1.1) in the textbook.
A C T I V I T Y 1.1 Tell me about your agency
It is important for counselors to be familiar with the treatment providers
in their communities and with the relationships among those providers. It
is interesting and useful to visit an agency with which you are unfamiliar.
Request an opportunity to interview a staff member or administrator. Your
instructor may be able to provide a letter of introduction to help you get
the interview. Note: Do not use the agency at which you are employed, an
intern, or a volunteer. Try to avoid using the same treatment modality. To
prepare for the visit, bear in mind that there will be an in-class component
of this activity. Each student will explain to another student or small
group exactly what services the agency offers and how the agency can be
helpful to its clients. Act like the marketing director for the agency and
sell its product. Secondly, make a list of questions to elicit information
about the following:
• Agency philosophy
• Agency policies and procedures
• Administrative and clinical structure
• Staffing patterns
• Treatment philosophy
• Treatment methods and modalities
• Funding sources
• Eligibility requirements
• Length of stay
• Cultural, class, and ethnic makeup of staff and clientele
• Referral patterns
• Success rate
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂