The term “depression” is thrown around in our everyday lives, but true clinical depression is more than just the “blues” or something you feel when your favorite football team loses. Openly discuss how you think this term is used, whether or not you think it should be used so loosely and if you’ve ever known anyone who has truly experienced depression.
From chapter 7 of Essentials of Understanding Abnormal Behavior, 3rd edition by Cengage Learning
1. What role do you think learned helplessness plays in depressive disorders?
2. After studying about depressive disorders, did you find any that surprised you? How could we educate people better on depressive disorder and why is this important?
3. Name four symptoms of depression and four symptoms of mania. People who are bipolar experience both. People who throw around the term “bipolar” typically do not understand what this disorder is, how could you educate them?
4 Compare and contrast cyclothymic disorder and bipolar disorder. Do you think that these disorders are misdiagnosed and easily confused?
From Sexuality Today (11th Edition). Gary F. Kelly McGraw Hill
The Klein Sexual Orientation Grid (p. 199) demonstrates seven different variables that play a role in determining sexual orientation or identity. Sexual individuality includes many different life dimensions. Discuss these dimensions and what you think most strongly impacts sexual behavior in today’s society.
From chapter 8 of Sexuality Today (11th Edition). Gary F. Kelly McGraw Hill
1.After reading the chapter, please discuss what society deems as &amp;amp;quot;normal&amp;amp;quot; sexual behavior and how this is different or like what &amp;amp;quot;normal&amp;amp;quot; was 50 years ago.
2. After reading in your chapter bout Spirituality, Religion and Sex, discuss the values associated with Human Sexuality and what role you believe these values play.
3. Do you believe individuals with genetic abnormalities, with a high likelihood of passing on these genetic abnormalities to their children, should be discouraged to procreate? Why or why not?