6. (TCO 1) Revise: Please send us a check for $45.95, plus tax. (Points : 5)
7. (TCO 1) Revise: In an effort to stimulate sales, Mallmart is lowering prices substantially on its line of consumer items. (Points : 5)
8. (TCO 1) Revise: Because of the degree of active employee participation, we are of the opinion that the
stock bonus plan will be successful. (Points : 5)
Question 9.9. (TCO 1) Revise: The evaluation was performed by us. (Points : 5)
10. (TCO 1) Revise: We cannot possibly send a repairman until next Monday. (Points : 5)
11. (TCO 1) Revise: We apologize for inconveniencing you during our remodeling. (Points : 5)
12. (TCO 1) List the instances of biased language in this report:
The finishing plant was the scene of a confrontation today when two ladies from the morning shift accused a foreman of sexual harassment. Marilyn Humphrey, a black inspector, and Margaret Sawyer, an assembly-line worker, accused Mr. Engerrand of making suggestive comments. Mr. Engerrand, who is 62 years old and an epileptic, denied the charges and said he thought the girls were trying to gyp the company with their demand for a cash award. (Points : 5)
13. (TCO 1) Revise: I think that we should proceed with this expansion for three reasons. (Points : 5)
14. (TCO 1) Revise this passage by inserting logical transition words.
Columbia is widening its lead over Kraft in the computer-magazine war.
Its revenues increased 27% last year, whereas Kraft’s increased only 16%.
Its audited paid circulation increased to 600,000, compared to 450,000 for Kraft.
Kraft was able to increase both the ad rate and the number of ad pages last year. (Points : 5)
15. (TCO 1) Revise: Our attorney made a recommendation that we take several steps to avoid litigation in regard to sexual harassment. The first step we should take involves establishing an unequivocal written statement prohibiting sexual harassment within our organization. The second thing we should do is make sure training sessions are held for supervisors regarding a proper work environment. Finally, some kind of procedure for employees to lodge complaints is necessary. This procedure should include investigation of complaints. (Points : 5)