This is an extended referenced essay writing task that requires you to demonstrate your ability to develop a line of argument on a topic related to one of the topics covered in the Skills for Study 3 module. In your essay, you should refer to a number of sources from the Skills for Study 3 Book but you MUST also refer to at least 3-5 other sources which you have found. You must ensure that the sources you use are academic and reliable and that they are correctly referenced with in-text and end-text citation. When choosing an essay title, please choose one which has a relevance to the progression pathway you are studying and the course that you are intending to study at university. Therefore, it is expected that you bring in any knowledge and understanding from your other courses at Kaplan International College London. What you will be assessed on:
- Establishing a clear purpose or thesis statement of your essay
- Developing a line of argument, expanding and supporting the arguments with reasons and relevant examples
- Identifying and evaluating counter arguments, opinions or solutions
- Writing in an evaluative rather than descriptive manner
- The extent and depth of your research of independently found sources
- Incorporating others’ work effectively by quoting, summarizing and paraphrasing viewpoints and using in-text citations accurately 7. Compiling a complete, accurate, consistently referenced bibliography (standard Harvard system) at the end of your essay.
- The clarity of expression used in your writing, especially register and style. Before you start writing your essay you MUST write a plan of the essay. The plan must be typed and printed. Your tutor will inform you when you should submit the plan. Your tutor will review the plan and give you feedback. It is essential that you analyse your tutor’s feedback and follow their instructions and suggestions when you write the essay. Task: Write an Extended Essay answering one of the following questions (1000-1250 words) Q1: The growth in the internet has affected cultures around the world, leading to a globalised and westernised, homogenous world culture. Using existing literature and data as well as knowledge and information from your other courses, critically evaluate this claim in relation to at least 2 of the following areas: • Politics • Business • Culture/youth culture • Language Q2: Most internet users, both individuals and businesses, underestimate the risks of sharing personal information online. Legal and illegal access to personal information is leading to a huge rise in cybercrime. Using existing literature and data as well as knowledge and information from your other courses, critically evaluate this claim in relation to at least 2 of the following areas: • E-commerce • Social media • Psychology • Privacy Harvard referencing The first page of your assignment must state the following: • Module code (e.g. FC503) • Assignment question (e.g. Critically evaluate….) • Word Count • Your Kaplan Student Number • Submission date You must also do the following: • Each page must have a header with the module code and your student number • All of the work must be word-processed • The pages must be numbered in the bottom right corner • You must include a final reference list using the Harvard System which is outlined in the college referencing guide. Please ask your tutor if you do not have a copy of this. You must not copy text from a book, another student’s work or internet sites and imply that it is your own work; this is plagiarism and is a serious academic offence. Make sure you save your work regularly while writing and that you save a copy of your final submission in case of any problems after submission.