IMPROVING THE ENERGY EFFICIENCY OF BUILDINGS
1) a clear working title for your research project
– what will you call your project ?
– what key words would describe your proposal ?
2) a clear statement about what you want to work on and why it is important, interesting,relevant and realistic.
– what are your main research objectives? – these could be articulated as hypotheses,
propositions, research questions, or problems to solve
-what difference do you think your research will make?
-why does this research excite you?
-what research ‘gaps’ will you be filling by undertaking your project?
-how might your research ‘add value’ to the subject?
– is your research achievable in the time allocated? (e.g. 3 years full-time)
3) some background knowledge and context of the area in which you wish to work, includingkey literature, key people, key research findings
-how does your work link to the work of others in the same or related fields?
-would your work support or contest the work of others?
-how does your work relate to the expertise within the department you are applying
4) some consideration of the methods/approach you might use
-how will you conduct your research?
– will you use existing theories, new methods/approaches or develop new methods/
-how might you design your project to get the best results/findings?
5) some indication of the strategy and timetable for your research project and any researchchallenges you may face
-what would be the main stages of your project?
-what would you be expecting to do in each year of your PhD?
-what challenges might you encounter and how might you overcome these?
6 )a list of the key references which support your research proposal
-references should be listed in the appropriate convention for your subject area (e.g.
Harvard). Such references should be used throughout your research proposal to
demonstrate that you have read and understood the work of others.
-other relevant material that you are aware of, but not actually used in writing your
proposal, can also be added as a bibliography