The final project for this course is the creation of a country-specific analysis for international business presentation. This is an individual project that encompasses all the areas covered throughout the course. This project is a summary of several areas of interest within the country that could be used for evaluation of business practices and business opportunities by a multinational corporation entering a new market. You will select a specific country in the world, other than the United States, and assess and analyze the country for several important aspects relevant to business opportunity assessment.
Select a country that you are interested in, a place that reflects your ancestry, a place you have visited or plan on visiting in the future, or a place that could be your “dream” country to work in some day. It could be a country where your company has business and you interact with the employees in the foreign country on a regular basis. The areas that should be discussed are described in detail for each Milestone and for the Final Project.
Note: The country selected must be on the The Hofstede Centrelist to ensure that sufficient information will be available. See the Final Project Presentation Guide (a PowerPoint) for examples.
The project is supported by two milestones, which will be submitted at various points throughout the course to scaffold learning and ensure quality final submissions. These milestones will be submitted in Modules Two and Four. The final project presentation will be submitted in Module Seven. It should be completed in one of the following presentation style: Power Point (PPT)
This assessment will assess your mastery with respect to the following course outcomes:
• Gain insight into the world of international business and commerce with specific focus on cultural and institutional factors (Knowledge of Human Cultures and the Physical and Natural World)
• Learn to work collectively to address past and current international business problems (Collaboration)
• Use international business terminology and current theories in understanding current global problems (Integration, Application, and Reflection)
Your final project presentation should answer the following questions: What are the overall features and conditions of the selected country that a multinational business should consider before investing, setting up business in the country, or doing direct business in the country with local companies? Please use Chapters 13, 14, 16, and 17 of the textbook and the sites The Hofstede Centre, The World Factbook,The World Bank, GlobalEDGE, Doing Business, Go Currency.com, and the World Trade Organization: Regional Trade Agreementsto research this information. TripAdvisoris a useful source of images and YouTubeis also a good resource, especially for music.
The final project will include all elements from Milestones 1 & 2 plus the requirements below. Please combine all three milestones as your final project. Please be sure add citations.
Specifically, the following critical elements must be addressed in the final project presentation:
1. Country Background – Building on information from your Milestone One submission and feedback, briefly highlight country features relevant to the world of international business and commerce, including the following:
1.1. Location, geography/climate, and population
1.2. Language and cultural activities
1.3. Quality of life (including life expectancy, literacy rate, and other indicators)
1.4. Your rationale for selecting this country
2. Country-Specific General Economic Conditions – Building on information from your Milestone One submission and feedback, briefly describe current economic conditions in this country relevant to the world of international business and commerce, including the following:
2.1. Main types of employment
2.2. Major imports and exports
3. Country-Specific Business Conditions – Building information from your Milestone Two submission and feedback, briefly describe the current business conditions and institutional factors of this country, including:
3.1. Discuss how the cultural aspects affect business conditions in the specific country
3.2. Discuss the level of institutional infrastructure:
3.2.1. Financial environment for business – Summarize relevant aspects, including banking system and relevant laws, for foreign corporations
3.2.2. Physical infrastructure important for business – Summarize relevant aspects, including transportation, power, and communication (e.g., internet, cellular) infrastructure
3.2.3. Considering institutional infrastructure, which may have the greatest influence on a company considering business in this country?
4. Country-Specific Recommendations for International Business
4.1. Describe the extent of economic integration, specifically mentioning the country’s membership(s) within regional trade agreements and the benefits they bring to the country.
4.2. Explain the best ways to do business in this country, making a recommendation for an MNC that is considering this country by evaluating these three options: exports/imports, green field investment, or not entering at all.
4.3. In summary, for a multinational corporation considering business in this country:
4.3.1. What are the country-specific special considerations for an MN?
4.3.2. Would you recommend that an MNC enter this market?