language and power
Assignment 2 Language and Power (Option 2)
Please direct this assignment to a specialist in Linguistics.
Dear writer for this assignment, firstly look at the attached PowerPoint file (Option 2) about possible structure, then follow the assessment criteria.
Option: 2 Discuss the issues in weeks 8 – 12 to do with critical and educational responses to language and power. The assignment should answer questions such as: How might we as educators, parents, workers, develop responses to the issues of language and power discussed in the first module? Why does the notion of critical always need to be related to questions of power? How are pedagogical responses such as critical literacy, critical pedagogy, critical multiculturalism and so on related to questions of language and power? What are the advantages and difficulties of critical approaches to education? It will of course be useful to orient this essay towards contexts of practice with which you are familiar. Be careful, however, not to just describe practice: This essay needs to discuss critical education in the context of language and power. Reading outside the subject readings is expected.
Your work is assessed according to the extent that you:
• clearly identify the topic of your assignment and how this is related to issues of language and power
• discuss the concept of ‘critical’ and its relationship to power
• describe (critical) pedagogical responses to questions of language and power
• discuss the advantages and disadvantages of these type of responses
• analyse the responses and in terms of critical education and language and power
• show evidence of wide reading (at least 4 subject readings + other readings) and analysis
• demonstrate appropriate genre, organisation and written expression with conventional spelling, punctuation
• use modified Harvard reference system
Using academic style and linking words