MODULE: STRATEGY INTO ACTION
AIM, LEARNING OUTCOMES, TEACHING METHODS, ASSESSMENT, DEADLINES AND TEXTBOOKS
The module aims to equip students with theories and critical thinking in strategic management and change and to develop the skills necessary to make judgements and proposals for present and future personal value creation in contemporary business. Areas covered in the module include the theoretical background to strategic analysis, developing corporate strategy, global strategic management, change management, and systems thinking. The module will also equip students to reflect on their career positioning and introduce the students to strategies and skills to enhance this for their future. The required readings in this module expose students to a broad range of strategic and change management issues and research insights, providing a foundation for their on-going journey through their strategic thinking and personal value creation management.
MODULE LEARNING OUTCOMES:
At the end of this module, you should be able to:
• Demonstrate a critical and leading knowledge of the history and scope of strategic management and change management theories that characterise academic research.
• Analyze and synthesise corporate and personal value creation and theoretical discourses and discriminate these to create an independent approach for direct application to the problem or opportunity in organisational context.
• Apply theories to interpret practical organisational change phenomena analytically.
• Achieve insight through personal practice reflection to lead new strategic initiatives under conditions of complexity and organisational uncertainty.
Assessment is based on coursework only. The individual assignment accounts for 100% of the mark. The split is 70% for Part 1 and 30% for Part 2. You should note that to pass this module, you must obtain at least 50% overall and at least 40% in each of the two elements of assessment.
Your individual assignment must be submitted no later than the date and time specified, unless an extension has been obtained from the module coordinator in advance of the submission date. Extensions will only be given for reason of illness. In all cases a medical certificate/letter signed by a doctor must be submitted. Marks will be deducted for late submission of work without permission, according to the University regulations. Please plan your work carefully. Further details of the coursework can be found in Section 3 of this handout.
Individual written assignments
For this assignment, you will work together in your Action Learning Sets to gather materials and to discuss your ideas. However, you will each write and submit an individual assignment which consists of two parts. The first is in the format of a Consultancy Report. The assignment has been designed to help you utilize your understanding of the topics you have covered in this module. The assignment topic requires you to consider both the culture and change aspects of the module. Selecting a scenario of your choice, you are required to write an assignment of 6000 words structured along the following lines:
• Part one relates to researching and writing a critically evaluated Consultancy Report for a Client based on a strategic or change management scenario of your choice. This will be negotiated with your lecturer. This element of assessment will consist of 4000 words approximately. You will be expected to identify and articulate a progressive resolution to the problem posed by the scenario based on theoretical models and evidence based research. The Consultancy Report will be written from a practical perspective.
• Part 2 consists of an evidence review on which you based the Consultancy Report, You are expected to assemble and critique the selected literature on Strategy into Action and support this with other contemporary evidence of application deemed relevant by you to lead strategic change. This element will consist of 2000 words approximately.
• Part 3 In addition, a 1,000 word reflective report / learning log on what you have learned from the module and how this has enhanced your critical thinking and employability skills. Concentrate on how you will develop your professional and academic CV’s. This element will not be marked but is obligatory.
The usual 10% plus or minus rule applies to assignments.
To help structure part 1 of the assignment the following information is relevant:-
Think of a cultural change process you had to contend with or manage in an organization of your choice, perhaps a current or former employer and undertake the following tasks:
1. Identify the rationale behind the initiation of the cultural change process.
2. Outline the key stages involved in the change process.
3. What challenges, if any, threatened to derail the change process?
4. What was the end result? Successful cultural change or otherwise?
The following guidelines will help you in the execution of this assignment:
* Select an organization that you are familiar with. This might be a previous employer or current employer. However, you may, if you wish, do your own research and select some other appropriate organization as long as you are satisfied that it underwent a cultural change process. This means that you are free to use secondary data and literature to select a well-known case example of an organization that undertook a process of cultural change.
Additional things you may wish to consider could include the extent of your own role, if relevant, in the cultural change process and how leaders managed the whole process.
This assignment (7000 word count) has three parts.
Each part should be written in separate documents. Reference list used for part 1 should include in part 1 and Reference lists used for part 2 should include in part 2 . Use Harvard referencing style. Provide one academic source per 100 words. Use credible academic source only. For eg. While using journal article, use only academic journal.
*I would like to request you to begin with writing PART 2 first because it will be easier since models need to choose first before applying to the company.
Guidelines for PART 2 (2000 words)
Step 1: Need to choose three models from the following which must be suitable for scenario given in Malaysian Airlines case.
1. Balanced scorecard
2. Hofstede model
3. Deal and Kennedy’s cultural Model
4. Mckinsey 7 S Model
5 Nadler and Tushman Congruence Model
6. Weisbord Six Box Model
7. Burke Litwin Change Model
8. Readiness for Change
9. Open Systems
10. OD Models
11. Planned Change Model
12. Forcefield Analysis
Step 2: Introduction (100 words)
Step 3: Model 1 – Introduce model with definition, critically analyse , Justify why this model is chosen for this case. (600 words)
Step 4: Model 2 – Introduce model with definition, critically analyse, Justify why this model is chosen for this case. (600 words)
Step 5: Model 3 – Introduce model with definition, critically analyse, Justify why this model is chosen for this case. (600 words)
Step 6: Conclusion (100 words)
Guidelines for PART 1 (4000 words)
This part is about critically evaluated consultancy report on strategic and cultural change management of the Malaysian Airlines based on given scenario . Here chosen models in part 2 should be applied to the company.
* Need to be written in CONSULTANCY REPORT FORMAT.
Step 1: Executive summary (500 words)
Step 2: Company background (250 words)
Step 3: Model 1- Explain Model checklist for the company, Why is it relevant for company, Application of model into the company change process. (900 words)
Step 4: Model 2- Explain Model checklist for the company, Why is it relevant for company, Application of model into the company change process. (900 words)
Step 5: Model 3- Explain Model checklist for the company, Why is it relevant for company, Application of model into the company change process. (900 words)
Step 6: Conclusion, Summary and Recommendation (250 words)
PART 3 (1000 words)