• Kaplan and Sadock’s Synopsis of Psychiatry: Chapter 10 Obsessive Compulsive and Related Disorders
• Psychotherapy for the Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurse: Chapter 5 Supportive and Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
• Stahl’s Essential Psychopharmacology: Chapter 14 Impulsivity, Compulsivity, Addiction
• The Psychiatric Interview: Section III #25 Assessing Anxiety, Obsessive and Trauma Disorders
• American Psychiatric Association. (2007). Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder (PDF). Arlington, VA: Author.
• Carnes, P. (n.d.). Sexual addiction screening test-revised (SAST-R) (PDF). Los Angeles, CA: Foundry Clinical Group.
• Kim, S. W., Grant, J. E., Potenza, M. N., Blanco, C., Hollander, E. (2009). The Gambling Symptom Assessment Scale (G-SAS): A reliability and validity study. Psychiatry Research, 166(1), 76–84. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2007.11.008
• Philadelphia Hoarding Task Force. (n.d.). Hoarding Rating Scale (PDF). Philadelphia, PA: Author.
• Psychology Tools. (2017). Yale-Brown obsessive compulsive scale.
• Grande, T. (2016, Feb 23). Psychodynamic therapy role-play – Defense mechanisms and free association (11:47 minutes) [Video file]. Psychodynamic Therapy transcript.
• TEDMED Live Royal Albert Hall. (2013, May 21). Treating addiction against all odds: Henrietta Bowden-Jones at TEDMEDLive Imperial College 2013 (17:17 minutes) [Video file]. Treating Addiction transcript.
• TEDx Talks. (2015, Nov. 24). Hoarding as a mental health issue | Ceci Garrett | TEDxSpokane (9:25 minutes) [Video file]. Hoarding transcript.
• TEDx Talks. (2016, March 29). We need to talk about sex addiction | Paula Hall | TEDxLeamingtonSpa (17:11 minutes) [Video file]. Sex Addiction transcript.
Discussion Board 13.1: Compulsive Symptoms- psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Is the identified modality applicable to use with adults and older adults who have compulsive symptoms? Why or why not?
- Discuss the importance of helping patients manage their compulsive symptoms using non-pharmacological psychotherapeutic techniques such as psychodynamic psychotherapy. What are potential complications if these symptoms are not well managed?