Healthcare is a complicated system that includes unique economic processes, regulatory requirements, and quality indicators that are not found in traditional business settings. Therefore, developing unique skill sets relating to organizational leadership and interprofessional team development is essential for leaders within the healthcare industry at any level. As the complexity within the healthcare industry increases, it is important to understand the comprehensive approach to patient care management across the continuum and how the concepts of organizational leadership and team development support leaders in creating a patient-centric environment.
The purpose of this assessment is to provide a framework through which you can experience and understand the unique leadership concepts within healthcare and understand the implications of business and regulatory requirements in providing patient-centered care. You will use a system theory or a change theory, self-assessment tools, and team development concepts to design a strategy to increase patient-centered care. Using leadership concepts and theories, you will ensure a sustainable model of healthcare delivery throughout the changing healthcare system that considers future trends, evidence-based practice, and regulatory expansion.
For this assessment, you will use the attached “Patient-and Family-Centered Care Organizational Self-Assessment Tool,” to analyze how patient- and family-centered the healthcare setting is. This form will guide you in evaluating this healthcare setting for strengths and weaknesses in patient-centered care attributes. Based on your analysis, you will create a strategy to improve patient-family-centered care.
A. Analyze how business practices, regulatory requirements, and reimbursement impact patient-family-centered care within a healthcare organization.
B. Complete the attached “Patient-and Family-Centered Care Organizational Self-Assessment Tool” (PFCC) for a healthcare organization.
Note: The PFCC tool is a subjective tool used to assess the organization you have chosen.
- Describe the healthcare setting you used in the PFCC.
Note: Please include the type of facility, the services provided by the facility and the diverse ethnic groups cared for by the facility.
- Using the completed PFCC tool, describe the strengths and weaknesses of the organization for each domain.
C. Identify one area of improvement from the weaknesses identified in part B2.
- Create a strategy to increase patient-centeredness in the organization by addressing the weakness from part C.
a. Discuss how you would apply either system theory or change theory in the development of your strategy to address the chosen weakness.
Note: The strategy should include the development of a multi-disciplinary team and how patient-family centered care can be improved.
- Discuss the financial implications of implementing this strategy.
- Discuss the methods you will use to evaluate the effectiveness of your strategy.
D. Create a multidisciplinary team by identifying the following:
• potential members that will assist you in implementing the identified strategy
• The role of each team member
- Discuss how cultural diversity within the team supports patient-centered, culturally competent care.
- Using one of the leadership theories below, discuss the leadership style you would utilize in developing your team:
• transactional leadership
• transformational leadership
• emotional leadership
• traditional leadership
- Discuss how the team will work together to implement the strategy to address the weakness identified in part C1.
- Describe how the team will communicate the identified strategy and intended outcomes to the healthcare organization.
- Describe a specific tool you could use to develop the team’s self-assessment skills.