MODULE TITLE: – Personal and Managerial Effectiveness (PME) LSC5003
SEMESTER: Semester three and four
ACADEMIC YEAR PERIOD: Oct 2015-Jan 2016
LECTURER SETTING ASSESSMENT: – David Mwaura
DATE ASSESSMENT SET AND LOADED ON TO STUDENT PORTAL: –
DATE ASSESSMENT TO BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED: – 18th Dec. 2015
Online via Turnitin (Student portal)
Assessment Type: Individual Presentation Paper (PPT slides with notes) and an Academic Report
Indicative Assessment Requirements for the Module;-
You have been hired as a consultant to advise a business organisation of your choice on the benefits or otherwise of effective management of workforce diversity. The senior management has asked you to prepare a report and PPT slides for presentation to the Executive Board.
You are required to prepare a Written Presentation Paper which should include;
1. An Academic Report
2. A maximum of 10 Power Point Slides with notes for presentation purposes.
a) Task 1-Academic Report-1500 words
Your report should examine critically, the business case for effective management of workforce diversity.
Include the following sub-titles in your academic report;
1. A title page
2. An introduction
3. Discussion and analysis
b) Task 2- Presentation-300 words
Prepare a maximum of 10 Power Point Slides with notes for presentation purposes.
Maximum Word Limit and Assessment weighting:
• Word Limit- Academic Report – 1500 words.
• Word Limit- PPT Slides with notes- 300 words.
• Weightage – 50% of the module.
Description of Assessment Requirements
• All assignments must be word processed – handwritten assignments will attract an automatic FAIL grade.
• The assignment should be in a report format.
• Assignments will be graded on the basis of research done, analysis of the facts collated, stand taken and the justification of the stand.
• All research must be referenced using the Harvard Style of Referencing and a Reference and Bibliography list attached. Improper or lack of either of these constitutes plagiarism and students will be awarded a Zero.
• Students found copying from other students will also be charged with collusion and awarded a Zero.
• Prepare 10 Power Point Slides (with notes page) in addition to the Academic Report for your Presentation Paper.
Introduction-coverage of background of the topic. (10 marks maximum)
? Weak coverage with little or no justification: 1-3
? Satisfactory coverage with some justification: 4-7
? Good coverage with good justification: 8-10
Review of the related literature-Collection of data from a range of sources (15 marks maximum)
? Little or no evidence of data: 1-5
? Satisfactory range of sources: 6-10
? Excellent range of sources: 11-15
Analysis and evaluation (25 marks maximum)
? Weak analysis with little or no evaluation: 1-9
? Satisfactory analysis with some evaluation: 10-16
? Good analysis with good evaluation: 17-25
Conclusions and Recommendations to management (20 marks)
? Poor recommendations with little or no justification: 1-7
? Satisfactory recommendations with some justification: 8-13
? Good recommendations with good justification: 14-20
PPT Presentation and structure (30 marks maximum)
? Poor PPT presentation, poorly structured argument: 1-10
? Satisfactory PPT presentation, logically structured argument: 11-20
? Good PPT presentation, logically structured argument: 21-30
TOTAL MARK: 100 %
Module Learning Outcomes to be Assessed:-
• better understand the “business case” for managing diversity – why managers should care about and devote resources to cultivating and managing diversity in their organisations
• enhance skills for identifying and analysing diversity-related dilemmas in the workplace