Policy & Politics in Nursing and Health care
This paper requires that you propose a public policy, that is, a policy that is at a “bigger” level (such as at the county level, state level, or federal level).
This course provides guidance to help you demonstrate the following 5 competencies:
• Competency 7007.1.1: Organization and Financing Healthcare
The graduate analyzes the organization of healthcare delivery and financing systems in the U.S. and other nations.
• Competency 7007.1.2: Policy Process
The graduate analyzes the historical, economic, and political factors that effect healthcare policy development and the impact of those policies on healthcare cost, quality, and access.
• Competency 7007.1.3: Effects of Legal and Regulatory Policies
The graduate analyzes the effect of major legal and regulatory policies on nursing practice, healthcare delivery, and health outcomes for individuals, families, and communities.
• Competency 7007.1.4: Ethical Theories Applied to Nurses’ Policy Positions
The graduate analyzes the values that drive policies.
• Competency 7007.1.5: Advocate for Policies that Improve the Health of the Public and the Profession of Nursing
The graduate analyzes strategies that healthcare advocates use to effect policies with the goal of improving the public health and the profession of nursing.