Step 3. Methods Paper Rubric
Page #: 5 pages
Item Points Possible Points Earned
• In one paragraph, explain your research question and summarize prior research to justify your research topic.
• Be very clear when succinctly explaining your research question 20
• Identify the proposed research method (experiment, quasi-experiment, survey, A-B-A-B, single case design, survey, mixed-methods, etc.)
• Explain why you chose the design 15
Human Subjects Considerations:
• Describe procedures to be taken to protect research subjects; identify areas of potential harm and specific measures to ameliorate harm 10
• Describe sampling method (e.g., random, convenience, purposive, stratified, cluster, systematic, mixed, etc.) and explain why you chose the method
• Identify study site and anticipated problems in procuring subjects
• Describe recruitment and selection process of subjects 15
Measurement and Instrumentation:
• Identify dependent and independent variables
• Describe operational definition of each variable and how they will be measured
• Describe your measures (standardized measures are recommended, provide references for each if used).
• Discuss the reliability and validity of the measures used.
• Describe data collection method in detail. (i.e., Will you conduct a survey? Use secondary data? When will individuals be asked?) 20
Trustworthiness of Research Design: Internal and External Validity:
• Assessment of Internal and External Validity: Discuss EACH threat and why you think it is or isn’t a threat to your study. How are the threats controlled? 10
• Discuss the potential limitations of the study (sampling, ethical, political, feasibility)
• Focus on methodological limitations 20
Possible Study Conclusions:
• What do you think the conclusions of this proposed study will be?
• What are the social work practice and policy implications if your hypotheses are supported?
What might be the implications for social work practice and policy if your hypotheses are NOT supported?
• What other issues might need investigating when focusing on your research question?
• What are your conclusions concerning your proposed research topic, question, and social work practice, policy, and research? 20
• APA style throughout paper
• Organization of paper and clarity of statements 20