Project Management – Course Work
General instructions for all assignments:
• Prepare the assignment in a word processor document to upload on to the portal.
• Your name and student number should be included in the footer of each page of the assignment document, and all pages should be numbered.
• Start each question (if there are many) on a new page in the document and provide a heading for each question. Paginate your document so that it is neatly presented.
• The assignment must be submitted on or before the due date specified by the college. There are penalties for late submissions.
• Collusion and copying are not allowed. Each assignment must be done entirely by you. There are severe penalties for copying and collusion including loss of marks in the assignment, failing the entire subject or dismissal from the course.
• Outside materials may be used in assignments but all such material must be quoted and referenced if included verbatim. In general you should present your ideas and understanding in your own words.
• All written or essay type questions in this assignment are to be answered in writing using a word processor. Use a proportionally spaced font such as Times Roman 12 point for normal, essay-type written answers.
1. Table 1 indicates the sequence and interdependence of the project activities for the Paddington Hospital project (A – M) which together are required to develop a bespoke system. The durations (in weeks) of each of the activities are given in the table
Activity Description Duration (wks) Precedence
A Requirement Gathering 5 –
B Business Analysis 6 –
C Systems Analysis 5 –
D Coding 4 C
E Unit Test 9 B
F Module Testing 8 B
G Systems Testing 6 C
H Bug Fixing 2 F,G
J Implementation 6 E
K Project Supervision 10 –
L Pilot Testing 8 J,K
M Implementation 3 G,F
N Unit Testing 7 A,D
P Systems Testing 5 N,M
Q User Acceptance Testing 5 H,L
R Handover 4 Q,P
S Lessons Learnt Activities 2 R
(a) Construct a network diagram identifying the following:
i. Earliest Start Time(EST)
ii. Latest Finish Time (LFT)
iii. Total Float on all activities in the project
iv. Critical Path for the project
b) Assume that there is a delay of 20 weeks in completing activity H. Analyse one action that the Project Manager could take to avoid exceeding the current length of the critical path. (30 marks)
2. Discuss five reasons why a project fails, and for each one offer ways of reducing or eliminating that risk.
Reference, Structure and report presentation (10 marks)