Evaluate and apply modern project management techniques to real projects in the business environment.
Analyse the different tools and techniques used in project management.
Coventry Pool Meadow Bus Station is over 20-year old. Giving its age and the increasing number of passengers using this station, a new building is required. A consortium of two partners – the City of Coventry and the central government – agreed to sponsor the project. The budget is £300 million and the timeline 2 years. Apart from building the new station, the project will include the demolition of the old station and the construction of a parking station for bicycles.
You have been hired as the project manager to oversee the planning and development of this project. Your first task is to prepare a project initiation document, drawing on appropriate project management theory and frameworks, to present to the two organizations in consortium for approval. The plan should consider the following aspects of the project:
• The project’s scope, including a Work Breakdown Structure and a Gantt Chart.
• An initial assessment of stakeholders and recommendations on how these stakeholders should be managed to maximise the chance of achieving the project’s objectives.
• An initial assessment of risks presented by the project and the response strategies proposed.
You are required to research and apply project management theory in order to successfully complete this assignment. In order to pass, you will need to use a minimum of 6 separate sources, including a minimum of 3 textbooks and/or scientific journal articles.
Report recommended structure
Your assignment should be presented as a report, using the following structure:
1. Project scope
2. Project stakeholder assessment
3. Risk management – threats and opportunities assessment
4. Reference list