Properties and Applications of Engineering Materials
P6 describe the principles of the modes of failure known as ductile/brittle fracture, fatigue and creep.
1. Using diagrams to illustrate your answers, describe the following failure modes and the scientific principles that relate to them:
a) Ductile fracture
b) Brittle Fracture
For each, make reference, where appropriate, to loading conditions, grain size, surface finish, stress concentrations, the appearance of the failed surface, stages of creep, effects of temperature.
P7 perform and record the results of one destructive and one non-destructive test method using one metal and one non-metallic material.
2. Perform and record the results of one destructive and one non-destructive test method. On
completion of the test record your findings.
P8 describe a different process of degradation associated with each of metals, polymers and ceramics.
3. Describe a different process of degradation associated with each of metals, polymers and ceramics. Use diagrams and image to illustrate your answer.
M2 explain how one destructive and one non-destructive test procedure produces useful results.
4. Explain how one destructive and one non-destructive test procedure produces useful results. (You must choose a different process from the one you have used in P7)
M3 explain how two given degradation processes affect the behaviour of engineering materials
5. From the list below select any two degradation processes and explain how they affect the behaviour of engineering material. Write around 600 words and include image, diagrams and web links to show any products that have suffered as a result of the degradation process.
1. Stress concentrationhttps://usaonlineessays.com/wp-admin/post-new.php
3. Solvent attack
6. Sustained high temperature
7. Thermal shock
D2 evaluate the results of one test procedure.
6. Explain the Brinell Hardness Testing procedure and evaluate the results that are obtained from the test. (Explain how the test is carried out, what information is obtained from the results and how are the results used). Write approx. 600 words and include diagrams as appropriate.