PSY-102 General Psychology
Topic 1 – Introduction to Psychology and Role of Biology
Mini Brain Project
Directions: Conduct research on a selected brain area or structure. Areas and structures available for research include: frontal lobe, parietal lobe, temporal lobe, occipital lobe, medulla, pons, cerebellum, reticular formation, thalamus, hypothalamus, limbic system, cerebrum, hippocampus, amygdala, corpus callosum, Broca’s area, OR Wernicke’s area.
Conduct research using scholarly Internet sources, library sources, and the textbook.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. Each question should be a minimum of 50 words.
Part 1: Using your research thoroughly answer the questions below:
- Where is the area or structure located?
- What are its major functions?
- What techniques are used to view or measure it?
- What happens when it is damaged?
- What other structures is it near?
- What other structures help or perform similar functions?
Part 2: Once you have answered the questions above, please select an activity below and complete it.
• Make a model of the brain emphasizing your structure using food or common – everyday – household items.
• Create a mnemonic device that will help classmates remember the most important information about your structure.
• Design a T-shirt with an illustration of structure and function.
• Compose a motto/bumper sticker your structure might adopt (include a logo to accompany the motto).
• Create a cartoon featuring your structure.
Insert Picture: A picture of the product created must be inserted below. The student must be included in the picture holding the final product or credit will not be awarded (Only instructor will be able to see the picture added).