Psychology Research class 481
Instructions for summarizing a chapter or article.
1. Write down each chapter title of the book. This will serve as the topic for each segment of the book you are summarizing.
2. Below each chapter title that you have listed, write down the main ideas corresponding to each chapter anything in bold or script. Try to be as simple and direct as possible. Avoid lengthy and complex sentences. Keep straight to the point. This will help you remove unnecessary words that are better left out.
3. The chapter titles and their corresponding main ideas that you have just listed down will serve as the outline of your book summary. Try to pick things up from there and expand your sentences by elaborating the ideas.
• DO NOT write whether the book is poorly written or excellently discusses the ideas. Remember, you are simply writing a summary and NOT a book review.
• DO NOT write down irrelevant ideas. They only make your book summary a mess.
• DO NOT make-up ideas that are not included in the book. Be as honest as possible. Write only what the author has said and not what was not stated.
• Read the entire text, noting the key points and main ideas.
• Summarize in your own words what the single main idea of the essay is.
• Paraphrase important supporting points that come up in the essay.
• Consider any words, phrases, or brief passages that you believe should be quoted directly.
The Title of the Article is Neurodegeneration