Public Health Implications of Disasters
course of Public Health Implications of Disasters ACCORDING TO THE GUIDELINES OF PRESENTATION of how to do it from the professor, which can be found in the third file called, Guidelines of Presentation.
Please remember that remember that any slides without these guidelines means nothing according to the professor. This presentation is due in week 4 (the week of presentation) and the content of this week taken from the organizer is, please see the organizer:
1. Define surge capacity and discuss the relevance of this term to emergency healthcare in a disaster setting.
2. Describe the different tiers of response for healthcare systems as they ramp up for a disaster according to Barbera et al in the MSCC document.
3. Define the differences between medical surge capacity and surge capability. Describe methods to improve or increase surge capacity and capability in US hospitals during disaster operations.
NOW, the instructions of presentation itself are as follows:
1. Slideshow: The Medical Surge Capacity and Capability document written by Dr. Barbera and his colleagues is the de facto comprehensive document on ramping up healthcare assets in the US to respond to a disaster. It can be found on the US Department of Health and Human Services website at this address: https://www.phe.gov/coi/Documents/MSCC Handbook – A Management System for Integrating Medical and Health Resources During Large-Scale Emergencies.pdf.
It describes a systematic approach for managing the medical and public health response to an emergency or disaster. The MSCC handbook identifies recent changes to the Federal emergency response structure, particularly the Federal public health and medical response. It also expands on several concepts described in the first edition of the MSCC handbook to facilitate their implementation. While the tiered approach described in this handbook is consistent with NIMS and the NRP, this revision addresses terminology and concept descriptions to assure consistency with Federal guidance.”
This assignment necessitates describing each of the 6 tiers of response for medical assets as it appears in the document. Prepare a slideshow in which you summarize ONE chapter or tier of MSCC. Employ other internet resources, the DHHS website, photos and any other elements to paint a picture for the rest of your class about your assigned chapter. By reading all of the submissions, you will learn about the MSCC document without having to read the entire thing word for word.
*I will assign partners as this is a group project.
The assigned reading of Wk 4, the week of presentation, are:
1. Landesman chapter 7
2. Koenig and Schultz chapter 3
3. Medical Surge Capacity and Capability (Barbera, et al)
Selected journal articles
Very Important NOTE: Since the specific task or chapter mentioned in the question has not been assigned yet, I will be waiting until the professor does so and get back to you with the information of what we should do exactly after I coordinate this with my group mates.
NOTE: The required Texts for this course are, see the syllabus: Textbooks: 1. Ciottone, Gregory – Disaster Medicine, (2015) ISBN – available on line through library. 2. Landesman, Linda – Public Health Management of Disasters – The Practice Guide, 3rd Edition (2012) ISBN #0-87553-004-4 3. Wisner, B and Adams, J. – Environmental Health in Emergencies and Disasters – A Practical Guide, (2003) World Health Organization ISBN #9789241545419 4. Koenig and Schultz—Disaster Medicine: Comprehensive Principles and Practice, (2011) Cambridge University Press And the required reading assignments for week 3, the week of presentation, are: 1. Landesman chapters 3 and 5 2. Selected journal readings 3. Public Health ICS documen