Public Health Professional Development
The American Public Health Association (APHA) is the primary association for public health professionals. Each year, the APHA holds the largest public health conference for professionals. Your Journal Assignment for this week is to review the APHA conference topics, choose which workshops or seminars you would like to attend, and consider how these workshops would help you develop as a public health professional.
To prepare for this Journal Assignment, review and consider the following resources (found in this week’s Learning Resources) in terms of your personal development as a public health professional:
• The web resource of the American Public Health Association, “Past and Future Meetings”
• The web resource of The Walden University Bachelor of Science in Public Health Program, “Concentrations”
• The document, “Walden University Bachelor of Science in Public Health Vision, Mission, and Program Level Learning Outcomes”
• The media titled “Public Health Core Areas and the BSPH Program”
To complete this Journal Assignment, identify three to four workshops described within the APHA conference schedule that are the most interesting to you. Provide the title and a short summary of the workshop. Reflect on how these workshops would help you develop as a public health professional. Identify specific public health competencies that are addressed.
Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Pocket Guide to APA Style to ensure that your in-text citations and reference list are correct.
• Interactive Media: Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Important events in public health history. Baltimore, MD: Author.
• Public Health Timeline Description
• Interactive Media: Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Public health core disciplines and the BSPH program. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Public Health Core Disciplines and the BSPH Program Description
• Course Text: Turnock, B. J. (2012). Essentials of public health (2nd ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
o Chapter 1, “What Is Public Health?”
o Chapter 6, “The Public Health Workforce”
• PowerPoints: Essentials of Public Health
o Chapter 1 PowerPoint
o Chapter 6 PowerPoint
• Document: Walden University Bachelor of Science in Public Health Vision, Mission, and Program Level Learning Outcomes
• Article: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2008). Ten great public health achievements in the 20th century. Ten Great Public Health Achievements in the 20th Century. 2008. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved from CDC.gov
• Article: What is public health? (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.whatispublichealth.org/what/index.html
• American Public Health Association. (2011). Past and future annual meetings. Retrieved from http://www.apha.org/meetings/pastfuture/
• Walden University. (2011). B.S. in public health: Concentrations. Retrieved from http://www.waldenu.edu/Degree-Programs/Bachelors/41210.htm
• APHA. (2011). American Public Health Association. Retrieved from
• Interactive Media: University of Minnesota. (2004). Outbreak at Watersedge: A public health discovery game. Retrieved from
• Article: DeBuono, B. A., & Tilson, H. (Eds). (2002). Advancing healthy populations: The Pfizer guide to careers in public health. Retrieved from
• Article: NOVA. (n.d.). The most dangerous woman in America. Retrieved from