QUALITY & PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT & METHODS
Competency 7034.2.1: Creating a Quality Improvement Plan – The graduate develops a quality improvement plan in a healthcare environment in order to promote patient-centered care, build effective work teams, and influence organizational change.
Task 2: Quality Improvement Plan
Health information management professionals will be given opportunities to be members of quality improvement (QI) teams. Because of their expertise in health information management, they are often asked to gather data, analyze it, and present it for quality improvement activities. Understanding the quality improvement models used in healthcare administration and clinical practice from the perspectives of all types of healthcare professionals facilitates team building and achieving success in QI initiatives.
Read the attached “Quality and Performance Management and Methods Scenario” to complete this task.
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. Use the Turnitin Originality Report available in Taskstream as a guide for this measure of originality.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
Develop a quality improvement plan that is based on the scenario by doing the following:
A. Discuss how to initiate a quality improvement project for this clinical problem.
1. Identify three areas of focus for quality improvement in the scenario.
a. Describe the types of data gathered in part A1 (e.g., quantitative data).
b. Explain your process for gathering the data.
2. Identify a quality improvement model that can be implemented.
a. Describe the steps of the quality improvement model you chose.
3. Discuss the influence external accrediting agencies have on the quality improvement process.
a. Describe the focus of one organization that helps to drive quality standards for the department.
4. Discuss one example of how you will use benchmarking and performance measures to monitor the progress made toward quality improvement goals.
B. Identify the team members who would contribute to the quality improvement team.
1. Describe the professional roles and responsibilities of each team member identified in part B.
2. Explain how each team member contributes to the project.
3. Discuss the qualities the team needs in order to facilitate project success.
C. Summarize why a quality improvement project is needed for the given scenario.
D. Discuss how you would communicate your ideas for quality improvement project implementation to organizational leaders.
1. Describe the steps you will take to implement the quality improvement project in the organization.
E. Acknowledge sources, using APA-formatted in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.