Topic: Reflective Essay
The reflective essay will contain a reflective and personal statement about the process of learning, acquiring training skills, and personal career development in the design and delivery of your facilitation session. You may wish to keep a learning journal, the data in which can be used as the basis for your essay. Journal entries can be made throughout the unit of study in relation to personal learning. This essay is about you!
In preparing to write the reflective essay, you might ask questions such as:
• What were some of the critical learning incidents for me throughout the program and why?
• What did I observe about myself in a learning situation, my thoughts and feelings, and how did these affect my learning?
• What did I learn about the complexities of the training process?
• How can I use this knowledge in my organization?
• How does the literature and the theory relate to all this?
• What can I do differently in the future?
The essay should be structured using the following headings.
1. Concrete experience – What happened?
2. Reflective observation – When I look back, I ….
3. Abstract conceptualisation – What theory helps me make sense of my experience?
4. Active Experimentation – What would I do differently in the future?
5. Reference List
It is not necessary to include an introduction or conclusion.
Notes on Kolb’s Experiential Learning Model (1995) are provided to assist in the structure of this essay and are located in the learning materials folder in the unit website.
Criteria for evaluation of the Reflective Essay
Reflective Essays will be evaluated using the following criteria.
implementing learning, training and career planning processes in organisations.
• Evidence of learning about yourself particularly in a learning situation.
• Use of theory and literature to support your analysis, insights and opinions where evidence of wider reading will be rewarded.
• Clear and actionable recommendations that flow logically from the analysis of your experience.
• Application of business standards for the presentation of the report including a reference list as specified above.